Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Port Forwarding Westell DSL Modem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jul-2009, 08:16 PM #1
Cool Solved: Port Forwarding Westell DSL Modem
I have a Westell A 90.750015-07 which I use to connect an Internet Radio to the internet. With the firewall set at Medium security there are many stations I cannot pickup. I can if I turn off the firewall. So I want to set up port forwarding for the radio leaving the other computers covered by the firewall. I do not understand the Westell terminology. Please could you tell me what the Global Port Start, Global Port End and Base Host Port are.
The radio handbook tells me to open UDP and TCP ports 80 and 123, I can see how to do this. It also tells me to open DNS Port53 but I see nothing about DNS ports in the modem settings.
Is a simpler option DMZ (I think those are the intials)? But I cannot find that setting in the modem menus.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Networking
31-Jul-2009, 10:42 PM #2
DMZ opens all ports and all protocols.
What is your ISP? Some ISPs block the incoming port 80, which would mean you may need to change the settings a bit. But assuming they don't, then for all of those ports, you would enter the same settings for Global port start, global port end, and base host port.
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2009, 11:03 PM #3
Port Forwarding
My ISP is Fairport Communications they bought Verizon's Landline business in New England about 18 months ago.
You write the settings would be the same for a11 ports. What would it be?
I can't find a DMZ option in Modem configuration menus
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 11:18 AM #4
Please post a screenshot of once you get inside the modem/router.
For manual forwarding, yes, all those blanks would be the same. However, if your ISP blocks port 80, or any of those others, I don't know if the Internet radio can take another port. If so, then (for instance, if they block port 80), then you would put for the global port start and end boxes 81, and the base host port would be 80.
Computer Specs

01-Aug-2009, 12:56 PM #5
Port Forwarding and Westell
Jason08
The attached Word Doc has the screen shot showing the data needed to set up port forwarding.
In the process of making this I did find out how to set up DMZ for the Internet Radio, which seems a simple thing to do. Are there negatives using DMZ? Does it compromise the security of other computers on my LAN?
Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PortForwardingScrShot.doc (151.5 KB, 631 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 10:06 PM #6
Actually, there are downsides to DMZ. Although it's much easier to configure over forwarding, because it opens all ports and protocols, it exposes the computer(or network device in DMZ) to security risks.
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Aug-2009, 10:31 PM #7
heres what i looks like to me. Protocol: well, thats obvious Global PortStart: begging for the range of ports to be forwarded. ex. when forwarding ports 100-150, you would put 150 Global PortEnd: last port in the range of ports to be forwarded. Base HostPort: IP address of target machine inside of NAT Unfortunately, some routers are just retarded with setup, and it can be difficult to figure out what some **** means, even for experience network technicians. I'm not completely sure myself.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2009, 09:49 AM #8
Port Forwarding Westell
Hero, thanks that covers start and finish ports. I presume I would have the same number for both if I just wanted to open one port eg 80 would be Start 80 Finish 80. There would be another for 150 etc. Base port I am still wondering. When I set up a port forwarding protocol I identify the device by its IP address so I don't think that is the base port. I have looked at examples and there is (usually) a four digit number in the base port box. Is it the port the app uses to connect to the router? I don't know what that is but have some emails out to see what it might be for the vtuner app on a Myine IRA radio. The port lists I have seen mostly cover games.
Thanks again for your help .
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 02:22 PM #9
If I'm not mistaken, the Base port is the port the application is using from the LAN side, and unless you want to route the incoming ports to a different port number (in that case, it would be the Global ports you would change), the Base host port should be the same as the Global ports. However, if for instance you were forwarding to host a game, the host port that people would use to connect would be the Base port.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2009, 07:29 PM #10
Port Forwarding Westell
I have done that, it all makes sense but alas has not fixed the problem of stations the internet radio cannot get with the firewall on but can with the firewall off. Unfortunatley I have no way of checking if the ports are now open for the radio. They are not for my computer, as I should hope. As you have suggested the ISP may block port 80.
The radio instructions mention opening DNS Port 53. Do I do this in the DSL Modem? I could only find ports labelled UDP and TCP.
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 09:47 PM #11
Yes, if there isn't a Both or Any option, then make an entry for the port for TCP, and one for UDP.
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2009, 05:28 PM #12
Port Forwarding Westell
Problem Solved!

I realized that "DNS Port 53" was the name of the port and when I opened TCP and UDP port 53 all worked well, I can get all stations. Thank you all for your help. I much appreciate it.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,723 posts.

04-Aug-2009, 06:14 PM #13
Glad we could be of help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
port forwarding, security center, westell dsl modem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!