Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Latitude 120L drivers

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2009, 08:10 PM #1
Dell Latitude 120L drivers
I have just reformatted a Dell Latitude 120L notebook that was corrupted with loads of viruses etc. I need to re-install drivers for the Ethernet controller and the audio device (showing unknown device).
Visiting the Dell website to download the drivers is a complete frustration, whenever I click on a driver to download it I am prompted to download their download manager. Having done that it still won't let me download, I get constant message saying no files selected. It just becomes an eternal circle repeating the same actions.

Can anyone direct me to the correct drivers out there somewhere, a (scam) site that insists on me downloading and scanning with their own scan tool is no good because I am not using the dell to find the drivers, and so won't get the desired result. I cannot access the internet on the dell until I do get the ethernet driver at least.

Once i do get that sorted I would assume that connecting to Dell with that will allow the download manager to work properly.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 08:12 PM #2
I'd use the service tag # from the Dell machine and download the drivers with another machine and move them over on removable media.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2009, 08:18 PM #3
That's how I am doing it. Service Tag and using another machine. or rather not managing to do it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 08:45 PM #4
Uninstall the Dell download manager if you've already installed it.

Download the chipset and networking drivers. Watch carefully on the download request and you should get an option to use their download manager or do "browser" download. You want the latter.

Install the chipset drivers first.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2009, 08:55 PM #5
If you think that you are alone in not appreciating the Dell Download Manager (which is less than a month and a half old) check out some of this.

Here are two useful paragraphs from that blog, which adds some to my above advice.

Quote:
When you first try to download a file you will be presented with a pop up page displaying 2 options. Download via Driver Download Manager or Download via Internet Browser. If you choose the second option your files will be downloaded as per normal.
If you happened to choose the first option for the Driver Download Manager and you no longer wish to use it. It can be removed via Add Remove programs in Windows. To enable the pop up page again to view the two options as above please empty your cookies
I think "empty your cookies" is supposed to mean to delete Dell cookies, but maybe it will help if you barf.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2009, 07:02 AM #6
I have resolved the Download Manager problem. Dell site telling me I need Net Framework 3.5 with SP1. Err...... knock knock DEll I have it!!.
Uninstall and clean out cookies etc did it.

Now all I have to do is identify which is the Ethernet controller driver. Device manager wont identify it because it has no driver, it's just unknown device. So if anybody has trawled through already and found it I would be very grateful for a pointer to save me ages.

Bren
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2009, 10:34 AM #7
I see only one integrated controller driver for a Dell latitude 120L.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2009, 02:34 PM #8
Might be a good one to start with!
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2009, 06:22 AM #9
Wink Latitude 120L
Thanks for the assistance with this everyone, I have now got rid of the yellow question marks. I've lost my wireless network somewhere but that's not computer problem it's more likely to be a physical problem somewhere. Got a 10m cable running from the modem to the back of the pc. But changing my ISP on thursday and will have to re-do everything then. In the meantime just manage with it.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2009, 09:23 AM #10
We're at least making progress.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!