Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Network printer shows offline

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 11:22 AM #1
Network printer shows offline
Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble that hopefully someone can give me some insight on. I have a networked printer that recently suddenly is offline. It is a Toshiba Estudio 550. It shows offline on all PCs (XP Pro) and for all users. The rest of the printers on the server are functioning just fine.

It is already being "used online" so right clicking and selecting that changes the status to "offline - offline." I can ping the printer's IP, but I cannot telnet into it. However, I can go into IE and navigate to the printer's config page via typing the IP into the address bar. I've cleared the print queue. I have also tried rebooting the controller, as well as shutting the entire printer down for a minute and starting it back up.

Does anyone have any other ideas or some knowledge you can drop on me? My last resort will be to delete the printer from the server and re-add it, but if there's anything else I can try first I am open to ideas.
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
17-Aug-2009, 01:11 PM #2
You have established that the print server is working fine. But what about the print device, the physical machine that does the printing? How have you tested it?
Member with 32 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 01:58 PM #3
I printed a config page directly from the printer as well as successfully making copies (it's an all-in-one).

17-Aug-2009, 02:28 PM #4
What do you mean by "directly from the printer"?
Member with 32 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 02:51 PM #5
I used the control panel that is physically on the printer itself, navigated to test pages on the control panel display and chose the config page from there.

17-Aug-2009, 03:16 PM #6
OK, so the printer can print. What happens when you use a remote source? Connect it directly to your computer and attempt to print. Try it from both computers.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Network Administrator
27-Aug-2009, 04:41 PM #7
Spooler problem
Restart the spooler service on the server. I had this issue about 3 weeks ago on a Zebra printer after a power outage. Hope it works!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!