Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing

(!)

Member with 85 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Aug-2009, 05:58 AM #1
Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing
My computer is running on Windows XP. Recently I bought a new TV Stick for my PC but it told me to update to SP2 when I've got SP3. I reverted back to SP2 but I still had problems installing my TV stick. I updated to SP3 again but discovered this had created problems. My Internet Explorer 8 now keeps crashing. I tried to reinstall it but during reinstalling my computer shuts down and I get the blue error screen. I also have Safari but this also keeps crashing. I've also got Google Chrome but I haven't tried that yet. The only browser I don't seem to have any trouble with is Firefox.

The only thing I can think of, but I only do it as a last resort, is to do a Windows XP reinstall.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Aug-2009, 10:09 AM #2
Well, I think dropping back to SP2 with IE8 installed was probably a bad idea. If a System Recovery doesn't sort this out to before all the fooling around with service packs started, you may end up starting over.
Member with 85 posts.

29-Aug-2009, 03:19 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Well, I think dropping back to SP2 with IE8 installed was probably a bad idea. If a System Recovery doesn't sort this out to before all the fooling around with service packs started, you may end up starting over.
I set a System Restore point before doing this, but when I came to set to an earlier time even this crashed!!!

I will try and remove IE8 according to Microsoft's website as the remove option is not available in the Add/remove list and reinstall it again. I'll try the same for Safari.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Computer Specs

29-Aug-2009, 08:30 PM #4
Sounds like a mess.
Member with 85 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 12:10 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Sounds like a mess.
Yes, well, I tried Google Chrome and had a problem with that as well. I've removed Safari and Google Chrome and IE8, but when my Windows updates brings this up and I try to install IE8 again, my computer crashes during installation which is the same thing that happened when I tried this before. I'm not gonna do this with Safari or Chrome. IE7 seems to work okay. I think I've got no option but to reinstall my Windows XP as I've got so many problems.
Member with 443 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Aug-2009, 12:18 PM #6
I agree. I think you need to reinstall XP to move on. Good luck.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2009, 12:19 PM #7
what about scanning it cos IE8 is a virus so...best thing to do is inclomplete it n soon try deleting everything in add or remove program so i think to use firefox instead...
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2009, 02:00 PM #8
jakey8, please don't post nonsense posts in technical topics.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Sep-2009, 12:33 PM #9
oops sorry
Member with 85 posts.

06-Sep-2009, 05:32 AM #10
Since I did a disc clean-up my computer has stopped crashing, because it was crashing without warning on the odd occasion, but this morning I tried to re-install the IE8 update and this time was successful. I have opened and used IE8 without any promblems, and I have not had to re-install my OS. I'm going to see how it goes now. Thanks to everyone who has offered their help.
Computer Specs

06-Sep-2009, 10:38 AM #11
Glad you sorted it out.

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!