Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: how to install belkin router to cable internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
08-Sep-2009, 09:36 PM #1
Solved: how to install belkin router to cable internet
I have a Belkin wireless router model 3 f5d7234-4 v4 and I have an HP hard drive Windows XP. I have cable internet. The modem on the cable internet is an Arris model TM602G/CT. I tried to following the easy instructions from Belkin. I left the cable model connected the same except I took the ethernet cord from the back of the cable modem and put it in the yellow modem port on the Belkin. I then took another ethernet cord and placed one end in the back of the cable modem and the other end in a port on the belkin. (also, I plugged the router into an outlet) By doing this I can't access the internet. On the Belkin the modem, router, wired and wireless lights up but not the internet. What am I doing wrong? I can usually follow directions but I am not very computer literate.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,073 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2009, 11:43 PM #2
Hi momofone, and welcome to TSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofone View Post
I took the ethernet cord from the back of the cable modem and put it in the yellow modem port on the Belkin.
I then took another ethernet cord and placed one end in the back of the cable modem and the other end in a port on the belkin.

You have two Ethernet cables between the modem and the router but no cable from the router to any computers? I found some information on an Arris TM602G (without the CT at the end) modem that shows only one Ethernet port.

Did you try turning both the modem and router off for a few minutes, then turn on the modem, then the router?
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2009, 02:15 AM #3
Hi Chuck W,
You're correct, the Arris only has 1 port, which is why I bought the wireless router to connect two desk tops. I am not sure if I've connected the correct ports to the Arris and the Belkin router.
++ The Arris (cable modem) is currently attached without the router. I have internet access on 1 desk top. Using the Belkin F5D7324-4 v4 router, I took the ethernet port from the back of the Arris and plugged it into the back of the Belkin router (yellow port) that says "modem'. The other end of that ethernet is still connected to the hard drive. I then used another ethernet cord for the same desk top and plugged one end into the back of the Arris and the other to the back of the Belkin router. Since the Belkin router has not connection for the cable connector I thought I had to keep using the Arris. Does this help you understand what I need to do to achieve an internet connection?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,073 posts.

09-Sep-2009, 09:30 AM #4
Quote:
Does this help you understand what I need to do to achieve an internet connection?
I am sorry to say I am even more confused now...

Quote:
...Using the Belkin F5D7324-4 v4 router, I took the ethernet port from the back of the Arris and plugged it into the back of the Belkin router (yellow port) that says "modem'. The other end of that ethernet is still connected to the hard drive.
You have one Ethernet cable plugged into the Arris modem, the modem port on the router, AND to some kind of hard drive device? All of the Ethernet cables I have ever seen have two plugs and can connect to only two things, not three.

Quote:
I bought the wireless router to connect two desk tops.
... The other end of that ethernet is still connected to the hard drive.
You have two desktop computers AND some kind of third device that is a hard drive?

Maybe somebody here can get a better understanding of what you are saying.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

09-Sep-2009, 03:58 PM #5
Quote:
Maybe somebody here can get a better understanding of what you are saying.
Not me!

Make sure that you are not using the USB port on the modem.

Reset the router to factory default settings. Then unplug the router.

Connect the modem's ethernet port to the router's Modem port. Connect a router LAN port to a computer.

Push the reset button on the modem. Plug in the router. Boot the computer.

If you now have internet access we can try to work on what ever else you have. If unsuccessful please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

P.S.--not positive this manual is correct, but it's the best I've found so far.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 10:57 PM #6
It is I who am now totally confused!!!
I'm only working with 1 desktop computer at this time. It has a hard drive. Without having the belkin router connected, the desktop has internet access thru the Arris (cable internet) The cable connection is coming from the wall to the back of the Arris. The ethernet cord is in the ethernet port on the Arris the other end is in the ethernet port on the desktop's modem. Now I want to add the Belkin wireless f5d7334-4 v4 to this set up to enable me to connect another desktop and to be able to use my laptop. How do I begin connecting the belkin with the above set up?????
==1. What I had tried to do was take the ethernet from the back of the Arris and connect it to the belkin (it was still connected on one end to the desktop's modem) My thinking on this was that I needed to maintain an ethernet connection to the desktop.
2. I then took another ethernet cord and connected it to a port on the belkin and the other end to the ethernet port on the Arris. I
I did not change the cable connection. I only moved the ethernet ports and added an additional one. I still was not able to access the internet. Please help!
Member with 216 posts.

11-Sep-2009, 09:01 AM #7
To put it simply....

1. Your need the modem connected to the DSL input from the ISP.

2. You need an ethernet cable from your modem to the 'modem' port of your router, NOT your PC.

3. You then need an ethernet cable from any one of the LAN ports on your router to your desktop. (Repeat this step for any other PC which you wish to attach by wire rather than wireless.)

All the descriptions given by you so far seem to imply something weirdly different
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2009, 05:45 PM #8
There are 5 (I assume) ethernet ports on the Belkin; the 4 LAN ports are all equal; the Modem port is different. The Modem port (also called Internet or WAN) port connects to the modem; any of the LAN ports connect to computer(s). When you simply say "a port" we do not know if you are using the ports correctly.

When you switch the device connected to the modem you must power cycle it. Or, if it has a battery, as I think that yours does, you have to press the Reset button. See my post # 5.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2009, 10:32 PM #9
Thanks Nemo2000 and Terrynet, somehow between the 2 of you a light bulb went off and I got it!!! I had the connections correct, but I didn't know that I had to reset the ISP modem.
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2009, 11:43 AM #10
You're welcome!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

12-Sep-2009, 12:08 PM #11
Quote:
Thanks Nemo2000 and Terrynet, somehow between the 2 of you a light bulb went off and I got it!!! I had the connections correct, but I didn't know that I had to reset the ISP modem.
Yep. I'm dealing with the same cable modem as you and found I had to press the reset button as I switched connections between the computer being directly connected to the modem and the router I'm using being connected to the modem.

This Arris cable modem has a battery in it so unplugging it to "turn it off" won't work since the battery will engage.

Glad you got it working!

Peace...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!