Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

dynamic IP Cablevision style

(!)

Member with 11,440 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2002, 10:40 PM #1
dynamic IP Cablevision style
Broadband is addictive and I couldn't live without it in our second home having it for a year in town. In town we have DSL but the only broadband for the country is Cablevision who I loath. But went ahead and got online service. Within 3 days we got hacked and someone used my daughters AOL acct to spam.
I called Cable vision and asked them if I had static or dynamic IP. The techie told me that they change the address every two or three DAYS. Is there any possible reason for this or is this just their taking some cheap way out.
Senior Member with 4,504 posts.

08-Jul-2002, 12:19 AM #2
It is customary to charge for a static or constant IP, it's easier and cheaper to just pull one out of a pool as needed. You can usually get a static IP if you are willing to pay for it.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

08-Jul-2002, 02:02 PM #3
The deal with Cablevision
Cablevision is stricly Home user Broadband. And you may hate it, but in NJ it is the fastest and most reliable broadband to be had.

They use dynamic IPS to prevent people from hosting web servers or other externally addressable systems on an optimum online account. They have "lightpath" service for businesses which come with static IPS.

Even so, where I am my IP changes once every 3 months or so, not every 3 days, but they told me the same thing. You got hacked? You mean you are not using a firewall? You must have a firewall with broadband, and that means either a router with a built in firewall, or another software firewall. Try Zonealarm, they have a FREE home user firewall, or BlackIce defender if you have some $ to spend. The best route is a router/hub such as the Linksys 4 port router hub. It has a built in firewall, and I have had every security expert I know(thats a lot of them cause it's my business)try and hack me and no dice. It's a good product. A

Anyway, good luck, hope I helped.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!