Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PIN code of router instead of WEP password

(!)

Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Nov-2009, 10:27 AM #1
PIN code of router instead of WEP password
Friends,

After I had installed Windows 7 on my computer, I tried to connect to my home network. I always do this and it always asks me for my WEP password. This time, something very strange happened. It asked me for the PIN code of my router. Until then, I had never seen such a thing. I confess I didn't even know this PIN code existed. Then, I reached my router (Belkin Wireless G Router), found the code on its back and typed it on Windows. Cool! It worked fine and now it is OK, I mean, it has already saved the password - automatically - and every time I start up Windows, it gets connected instantly.

My doubt is: this has never happened before, so what happened now? Why did Windows ask me for this PIN code instead of my usual WEP password? Is there any configuration I should do to avoid this and get it back to asking me for my WEP password?

I have not tried to connect to any other network yet, so I do not know if this happened only here, at home.

Thank you very much for your attention.

brunces

Last edited by brunces; 13-Nov-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Nov-2009, 04:46 PM #2
This is WiFi Protected Access, which is an alternative way to easily configure your wireless. It's standard for Win7 and newer routers. If your router supports it, it asks for the PIN instead of the key.

FWIW, I'd use at least WPA, and preferable WPA2-AES encryption, WEP is easily cracked.
Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Nov-2009, 07:56 PM #3
Very good. Thank you very much, JohnWill.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!