Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Everytime I restart my computer, can't connect to network!

(!)

Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Nov-2009, 07:00 AM #1
Everytime I restart my computer, can't connect to network!
Right. I got a new pc yesterday, and I used a wireless adaptor (TL-321G) which has been used on many other pcs of mine to connect to the same network. At first, I couldn't find my network but could see others, so I had to reset router and restore the settings to factory defaults, then change the SSID, then I could connect to my network. I restart, and it won't connect, but it still lists the connection on the network list (i'm on vista home premium).

Help please?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Nov-2009, 08:13 AM #2
Hi

I have a similar problem. Last week MS did its normal automatic downloads with 8 updates.

After its conclusion, I was unable to log onto my network. I restored my PC to the previous day's settings. At this stage I could log on OK. However, once I rebooted, I could no longer logon. I discovered that the upgrades which I had removed had beeen reinstalled on my PC. I continued restoring, disabling more and more of the updating switches to try and get back to the stable condition I was in a week ago. Eventually, however, I was unable to login at all.

Looking at my network condition, it tells me I am "Connected with limited access", a position which appears to have afflicted others recently. Using "Diagnose Connection Problems", I find that the network adapter, RealtekPCIe GBE Family Controller, is experiencing driver or hardware related issues. On device manager, it tells me that the device is working proiperly. I downoaded the latest driver (6.227.902.2009) just in case - no difference however.

I am using a Netgear router with a wireless adapter (Rangemax Wireless-N USB WN111v2). Could someone please tell me if the PCI network adaptor is still being used whilst I am operating a USB wirelesss adaptor - or does the wireless adaptor not need the PCI to operate a network (I do not have an ethernet network on the PC)??

When I run ipconfig, I get the following:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Iains
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

I am using a spare PC to the same Netgear router which is working fine.

I am using Vista 64 SP2.

Anyone have a solution for this?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

20-Nov-2009, 09:31 AM #3
I think I have a similar problem and I suspect MS updates too (running Vista home Premium) - I have set up a separate thread on my problem
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...but-wired.html

If either of us gets a fix for this then perhaps we can spread the word? Tried doing a restore like you did iainm but got nowhere - wouldn't restore properly
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Nov-2009, 09:34 AM #4
Well, we're only going to deal with one issue for one person in a thread. Others will have to start their own thread if they want assistance.

iainm, please start your own thread.

exosion, try removing ALL stored wireless network profiles and then restart. Search for the network and connect, enter the encryption key, then see if it'll connect automatically.

20-Nov-2009, 09:37 AM #5
I tried that and it's not working John. :'(

20-Nov-2009, 09:41 AM #6
I fixed it, I had to change the channel number!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Nov-2009, 10:02 AM #7
Thanks for the feedback.

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Nov-2009, 08:17 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seansdad View Post
I think I have a similar problem and I suspect MS updates too (running Vista home Premium) - I have set up a separate thread on my problem
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...but-wired.html

If either of us gets a fix for this then perhaps we can spread the word? Tried doing a restore like you did iainm but got nowhere - wouldn't restore properly
Hi Seansdad

Went to bed (in Oz) before your reply - seems like you cracked your own problem from your own thread. Hope it stays that way for you!

Cheers
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!