Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Problems connecting Blu Ray to WLAN

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Dec-2009, 11:44 AM #1
Solved: Problems connecting Blu Ray to WLAN
I just bought a new Samsung Blu Ray player that came wireless ready, but I cannot connect it to my home network. I have a laptop, desktop, and wireless printer hub all set up on my network, but cannot get my Blu Ray player to connect. I tried it with DHCP enabled, and then I disabled it and tried to manually assign IP address, Gateway, DNS etc. (which I have done before and am confident I was doing coeerctly), but all attempts failed. I was getting a strong signal from my wireless router (Actiontec GT701-W, Qwest service), but when entering the WEP key, the connection could not be made. Two things that are really frustrating me:
1) I am POSITIVE I was using the correct security Key (went to my router's address to verify)
2) There is no error code to help me determine what is wrong, just a connection failed message.

Any thoughts on something else I can try? NOTE-my router is upstairs, Blu Ray downstairs, to ethernet connection not ideal.

Any help would be appreciated!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

31-Dec-2009, 02:54 PM #2
take the wireless secruity key off and try it that way - see if it will at least connect
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2010, 08:27 PM #3
Progress!
So I made some progress. Thanks for the advice, but I was able to get connected. However, I lose connections sporadically. When I bought the Blu Ray player, I bought a Samsung surround sound speaker system with wireless rear speakers. Any time I turn them on when the player is connected, if I turn on the speakers I believe the signal from wireless speakers interferes with the signal to the player--is this possible?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

02-Jan-2010, 05:41 AM #4
yes, if the speakers use the same frequency
if possible keep to 1 or 6 or 11

download this program
http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

instal and run
it will show you all the wireless routers devices being broadcast in your area - you can see what channels are in use and change to one that is used the least -
If you change the channel you may fix the speaker issue but get interference from other routers in your area - hence the suggestion above
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2010, 11:59 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
yes, if the speakers use the same frequency
if possible keep to 1 or 6 or 11
My understanding is that even if they are on different frequencies they could "clog the airwaves" so to speak. At any rate, I have determined that the best option was to return the "open box" item and get a brand new unit, as well as return the surround sound w/wireless rear speakers. Just not necessary for the way my home theater system is set up.

To follow up: as soon as I got my NEW Blu Ray unit (wirelessly) connected to the internet, I was asked permission for the unit to perform a firmware update--as soon as this happened, it made me wonder if the issue with the "open box" item I purchased wasn't laced to a botched firmware update from the initial owner...

Glad I decided to get a new unit either way!

By the way, thank you for the software link--I imagine it will be quite useful at some point in the near future for me!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blu ray, networking

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!