Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Belkin N Wireless USB keeps losing connection with router.

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Dec-2009, 10:49 AM #1
Belkin N Wireless USB keeps losing connection with router.
Hi,
I have recently installed a Belkin N wireless USB adapter onto my dads desktop computer (windows XP) so he can access the internet.

The computer, up until recently has been upstairs, and wired directly into the router (BTBusiness Hub), which had worked fine.

However, the computer has been moved and the connection continuously keeps getting lost now it relies on a wireless connection- Literally 2 or 3 times a minute.

I am confident that the wireless adapter has been installed correctly as it always shows a good signal.

2 other laptops use a wireless connection with no problems at all - including from the same location as my dads computer.

It's incredibly frustrating as simply checking emails is a tiresome task!!
Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Dec-2009, 11:27 AM #2
I have never been a fan of Belkin but assuming the USB adapter is working ok try logging onto the router and change the wireless channel to 1 or 6 or 11. If its 6 try on of the other 2 channels.

theory being wireless interference on the current channel being used?

Your dads PC is not next to a cordless phone or microwave etc,etc as these devices interfere with wireless signals. Interference can be from these types of device or a neighbour with a wireless router on the same channel as yours.

Good luck!
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Dec-2009, 11:31 AM #3
Also i suggest you temporary install the belkin on the other laptops or pc to see if problem follows the belkin or is only on that PC. also how old Dad's computer is maybe only has USB 1.0 instead of USB 2.0 ports.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
belkin n adapter, wireless connectivity

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!