Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot connect a pc in our network wirelessly

(!)

phixgrrrl   (Danielle) phixgrrrl is offline phixgrrrl has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 352 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2010, 03:50 PM #1
Unhappy Cannot connect a pc in our network wirelessly
I was setting up my dad's new pc in the basement, (installed some web plugins that were missing for the browser, tried to set up outlook but yahoo mail will not do that unless its yahoo "plus") and the internet was already set up with a wireless usb adapter, which was working (found the network and connected ok, tho a weak-ish or "fair" signal, since this pc is in the basement and the router is in my bedroom, however that's never really been any problem.
Then today it will not connect; it asks for the password, which I type in, but it can't connect; it shows the signal strength as fair and its finding the network router (2wire) but won't connect. I reset the router, still nothing. The other pc connected wirelessly, in the kitchen, shows up fine. And I know there's a signal in the basement.
What should I do? Is there any other info you need? Should I try re-installing the drivers/software for the usb adapter?
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jan-2010, 04:16 PM #2
http://www.gaebler.com/Deals-Buy-Com...-Line-NICS.htm

Others on this forum will say they hate my suggestion but I used Powerline Adapters to extend network connection to far away sections of my home.

I am using Homeplug but Netgear and Linksys make good ones.

See the list on the websites above. This will provide a fixed wired connection via the power sockets in your home.

As mentioned before keep the receipt in case it does not work. I messed about for days/weeks trying to get a good signal bur a pair of powerline adapters worked 1st time and no issues in over 2 years.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Jan-2010, 05:14 PM #3
I'm one of those guys that couldn't get these things to work for love nor money!
Computer Specs
Member with 352 posts.

01-Jan-2010, 06:56 PM #4
So you think its the adapter? But it was working fine yesterday. I reinstalled the software. I saw the little lower icon change from the non-connected computers to the little bars that indicate the signal...kinda went back and forth a few times, then settled on the non-connection.
You think maybe switching the one in the kitchen pc w/this one would help? The one in the basement is a Belkin.
I'm no expert by any means and by helping him I've become tech support and if I don't know the answer, I get yelled at (that's just the kind of awesome guy he is) so any answer asap would help.
I swear he'd be LOST without me here.

Last edited by phixgrrrl; 02-Jan-2010 at 03:47 AM..

02-Jan-2010, 11:18 AM #5
Hi Phixgrrrl.

I was suggesting a different solution to wireless by using Powerline Adapters that are like a fixed cable from Bedroom to Basement. Would save you getting yelled at I think

Otherwise yes try swapping the Belkin with the other PC. I am not Belkin's biggest fan and have had loads of friends/people see issues.

Not always Belkin's fault! Most of thier products work but usually shorter range or basic features only. Big house, A Wirless N router would be best from Linksys or Netgear.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

02-Jan-2010, 02:26 PM #6
Something that might help.

If you have the 2-Wire positioned as in the first picture, sit it as shown in the second picture.

When mounted as shown in the first picture, the antennae are almost vertical and the areas of weakest transmission and reception or above and below the modem.
Attached Thumbnails
Cannot connect a pc in our network wirelessly-2-wire.jpg   Cannot connect a pc in our network wirelessly-2700_newbluebox.gif  

Last edited by dlsayremn; 02-Jan-2010 at 02:51 PM..

02-Jan-2010, 02:35 PM #7
Would be?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

02-Jan-2010, 02:51 PM #8
Sorry, hit the wrong button. See edit.
Computer Specs
Member with 352 posts.

02-Jan-2010, 03:43 PM #9
Yes I saw the post about the wired solution. I suppose I'll try that if I can't get this to work. And I do have the router positioned as in the 2nd pic already.
I'll try swapping them and see if that helps...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
router, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!