Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: There is an IP address conflict with another sysytem on the network

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

08-Jan-2010, 09:20 PM #1
Solved: There is an IP address conflict with another sysytem on the network
I have a D-Link wireless router with two wired desktop computers and one wireless laptop. I have had the desktops and the router for years and never had any problems. The laptop was a Christmas gift. I have been using both desktops and the laptop for a couple of weeks now and it's been going great until today. One of my desktops has no internet connection and displays the following message:

"There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."

No other computers are having this issue. I have "Network Magic" on the other desktop and it is showing the second desktop twice and both have the same IP address. I have tried to change the IP address on the broken computer but every time I try it I get the following message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:Renewing your IP Address"

Can anyone help me fix this problem? I'm not a computer wiz so simple words please.

Thank you in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

08-Jan-2010, 10:22 PM #2
If you have any static IP addresses on your network make sure they are not conflicting with any Dhcp assigned addresses.

If your wireless network is not secured enable encryption, preferably WPA(2)-PSK.

If you are using WEP change the key or use WPA(2)-PSK instead.

If none of the above helps unplug the router and shut down all computers. Then plug in the router; then boot the computers.

If still a problem please show for all Windows computers ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Jan-2010, 12:08 PM #3
Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.
  1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
  2. Turn off the router and modem.
  3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
  4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
  5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 12:49 AM #4
Through a combination of things I managed to solve the problem. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ip address conflict, ip address problem, network problem, renewing ip address

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!