Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer not showing

(!)

Member with 417 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Jan-2010, 04:05 PM #1
Computer not showing
We have a small network at our business. we use Linksys router.
If I go to NETWORK on my computer I see everones computer except one of them. We have accessed this computer before. We send excel sheets to his computer all the time, all of the sudden his computer is not accessable?

Any ideas what we could have done?
I right click the computer and go to properties, he is set up fine on the correct network.

Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help with this soon.

Thank you very much!
Michael
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jan-2010, 04:22 PM #2
what operating system on this pc and all others that connected to it in the past? XP, Vista or Windows 7?

Have you changed the logon/account password on the pc that used to be accessable?
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jan-2010, 04:51 PM #3
i am offline shortly but my point was going to be....depending on your operating system.....for example in xp goto START----MY NETWORK PLACES----Click on ENTIRE NETWORK----Click on MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK----then finally WORKGROUP or whatever you have called the Workgroup? Then verify you can see all the switched on computers/printers in your network. If you double click the other computer icons you will either be prompted for userid and password. This will be a valid login that you normally use to logon to that same PC when sat in front of it!

Try this in both directions. I mean on the PC nobody can see and on one or all of the PC's than cannot see the missing one?

I assumed it was a logon/password change that has stopped others from seeing shared directories on the PC that is missing?

Good Luck
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Jan-2010, 04:53 PM #4
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.
Member with 417 posts.

15-Jan-2010, 09:49 AM #5
OK, this is strange.
I shut down the computer that was not recognized. I then went to Network Neighborhood and I could go to each persons computer in the office. When I went to one of the other computers the computer name showed up?

That was really weird.
I can access the computer and folders now, why I have no idea!

Michael
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2010, 10:10 AM #6
Gremlins?

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
Member with 417 posts.

02-Feb-2010, 12:18 PM #7
Ok, it is back to not showing up on any of the other computers. I have tried the ping, no luck. The ping is not working.

I will look at the firewall. What/Where should I check in the Windows Firewal?

Mcihael
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2010, 01:48 PM #8
This sounds like a master browser issue.

Try typing //computer_name into a command prompt and see if you can access that computer.

You can also try PING computer_name
Member with 417 posts.

02-Feb-2010, 03:04 PM #9
Ok, I went to Network neighborhood and checked to see if i could see other computers. it would not work.
I went to the Windows Firewall and it gives an error that the (ICS) service will not run.

So I went to Services and tried to start it. It will not start.
Firewall/Internet Conecction Sharing (ICS)
It gives Error:5 Access is Denied

Is there anything else i can do?

Michael

ps. by the way I can access other computers from the computer that has the issues???
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2010, 07:26 PM #10
ICS is not needed in a peer network, that's just for sharing your connection.

Check the other services I mentioned previously.
Member with 417 posts.

03-Feb-2010, 09:29 AM #11
I went through each one. There were a few not started. I started them up and still I am not able to view?
I did not see this one:
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Obviously because it is an XP machine.

I did not turn the system off then on again, should I have.

Michael
Computer Specs

03-Feb-2010, 01:50 PM #12
Certainly reboot the system. Whenever you're having any sort of oddball issue, one of the basic steps is to simply reboot. You'd be surprised how often that fixes things.
Member with 417 posts.

03-Feb-2010, 06:35 PM #13
I did and it seems to help for now. Be for I mark this solved, I will test it a couple of days and see what happens. I may just never turn that system off!!!

Michael
Computer Specs

04-Feb-2010, 11:59 AM #14
Let us know how it goes.
Member with 417 posts.

11-Feb-2010, 10:37 AM #15
John,
Every week or so, I have many of your list you gave me that shows as not started. I start them and reboot my computer and then we see the computer on the network. Is there something that would be causing this? If we have to go reset them all the time is there something to speed up the process?
Thank You,
Michael
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!