Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet dropping on all Vista Pc's/Laptops

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Jan-2010, 07:50 PM #1
Internet dropping on all Vista Pc's/Laptops
Hi all, this is my first post on here, and would really appreciate your help. I have been having major problems with internet on my computers.
In the past 1.5 years, I have had two laptops and one PC, all running Windows Vista (home and also ultimate 32 bit, and yes I know vista sucks, so please donít simply suggest to put XP on). All of these computers have had identical problems, which include:
1)Internet disconnecting randomly for minutes on end
2)Internet disconnecting for a few seconds
3)Internet disconnecting and then not being able to connect to wireless modem
4)Always disconnects when a bittorrent program (not newsgroups) is started up (I have tried taking such programs off computer, but problems persist even then)
5)Internet speeds fluctuating dramatically for minutes on end
During this same 1.5 year period, my wife has had two laptops, both of which run XP. She has had no problems what-so-ever, and also solely used wireless connection.
Any thoughts? Im thinking this is entirely a Vista related issue considering the lack of problems my wife has had, but never-the-less, I did get a new modem (problem persists), and did have a friend look at its settings, but he said all was good.
So, I leave it in your ever so knowledgeable hands, in hopes that one of you bright chaps can figure this one out, as I sure as heck cant! Lol I would appreciate any and all suggestions/solutions, and please feel free to contact me should you require any more info/specs.
Cheers all, and hope to hear from you.
Regards,
Tyler
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Jan-2010, 09:13 PM #2
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

Some fixes to try, these changes may help to increase the compatibility of Vista & Windows 7 with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
  1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Inter faces\{GUID}
  4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
  5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
  6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
  7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  8. Close Registry Editor.
NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.
NOTE2: (GUID) is a mnemonic for the individual subkeys, the actual text "GUID" does not appaer.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Jan-2010, 10:10 PM #3
Hi John,
I have just done all three suggestions made below by you, however problem still persists.
Also, no problems with ethernet, and problem only occurs to my vista computers, not XP.
With regards to your other questions:

1) Thomson ST780WL (Speedtouch 780) software version 6.1.7.2
2) No seporate router
3) Problem only occurs on wireless connection with Vista running
4) WEP (and on channel 6)
5) Windows Vista Home Premium , SP 2

I look forward to hearing from you,
Best, Tyler
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,385 posts.

15-Jan-2010, 10:42 PM #4
Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If you update it then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Make sure you have the latest correct driver for each wireless adapter--from the PC manufacturer for integrated adapters.

Vista sometimes struggles with WEP, especially with older routers. That's why I suggested looking for a firmware upgrade. Next to try is with no encryption or with WPA-PSK. A side effect of using WPA is you'll have greatly increased security.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
disconnecting, internet, vista - wireless, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!