Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to configure wireless router

(!)

Member with 635 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2010, 04:05 PM #1
Unable to configure wireless router
I have an Asus wireless WL-520GU that I have a wired connection to my PC. Why, because I am using the wireless only to allow access to my webradio.

Problem is the web radio connects 50% of time. Other times to connect I need to manually configure on webradio to connect to connect to wireless. It works sometimes other times not. I haven't been be to get to point of securing the SSID. So probalby someone is stealing my bandwith.

Now to explain my setup, my modem is connected to my Linksys 2102 adapter (used for VOIP) which to connected to the Lan port on the router.

I can surf the web on the PC, but trying to establish a connection, the PC does not recognize a wireless device. I cannot even access the Asus web interface (192.168.1.1)

My default gateway is 192.168.0.1 that of the Linksys adapter,

How to enable SSID so I can lock it and I can access the wireless problem-free from the web radio (Aluratek) ?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

30-Jan-2010, 06:04 PM #2
Encrypt the wireless to start, this will stop any unauthorized connections.
Member with 635 posts.

30-Jan-2010, 06:44 PM #3
I can't even access the web interface...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

30-Jan-2010, 10:41 PM #4
I don't understand why you can't access the Asus router. What exactly happens when you try to access 192.168.1.1?

If necessary connect directly to it w/o the Linksys VOIP router.
Member with 635 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 10:06 AM #5
If I connect directly from modem to router, I don not have any web access at all, much less the 192.168.1.1
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 11:01 AM #6
The Asus and Linksys units are both routers and they are on different 192.168.X.X subnets. Since you PC is getting a 192.168.0.X IP address from the Linksys, it cannot access the Asus 192.168.1.1 web interface.

You need to temporarily disconnect the Linksys router, and connect your PC to the Asus router. Obtain an IP address, then access the Asus 192.168.1.1 web interface. Disable the routers DHCP server and change the router IP address to 192.168.0.254 (or some other 192.168.0.X address that is not in the Linksys router DHCP range). Then reconnect your PC and routers as they were before.
Member with 635 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 01:06 PM #7
I figured that as the default gateway was set to the Linsksys adapter/router.

I already have my PC connected to the Asus router, but I have tried to connect modem directly to the Asus router, bypassing the Linksys, and I cannot connect to the internet at all.

The interesting part in Control Panel --> Network connections, when I attempt to setup up a wireless network, the PC cannot detect a wireless device.

But looking at the map I do see the asus router indcated,

With the old setup, using the Linksys, the map shows

PC --> Asus router --> GAteway ---> Internet.

Bottom line, I cannot access the Asus web interface
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2010, 03:00 PM #8
Please start over with your network description. I thought you had phone line to Asus modem/router to Linksys VOIP router. But now you are talking about a modem as if that is yet another device? And I think I can, if I try hard, interpret your first post to mean that you are using the Asus as a switch and WAP, but didn't give it an address on the network for easy access.

So, you have phone line or coax to ? to ? to ?
Member with 635 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 04:55 PM #9
I have s Speedtouch 516 modem that is connected to the Linksys 2102 adapter/router,

they is for the VOIP service. Then my PC is connected to the Lan port of the Asus router, and the the linksys is connected to the Lan port of the Asus router via network cable.

So if effect, I am using the Asus as a switch and also an wireless point for my webradio.
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2010, 05:20 PM #10
OK, thank you. Frank4d had it figured out. If his advice is not sufficient for you maybe it would be easier to reset the Asus to factory default settings and start over. Here is the complete procedure.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router
Member with 635 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 07:26 PM #11
I think I follow the primary and secondary router configuration and turning off the DHCP on the secondary router.

The PC is connected to the secondary wireless router, and the modem is connected to the primary router. I have a regular network cable
connecting the primary and secondary routers. the Secondary router is not a computer, so a "cross-over" cable is required?

The bottom line again is I cannot access the secondary router web interface to make those changes.

Last edited by holymoly; 31-Jan-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2010, 08:06 PM #12
The cable you are using is OK; the proof is that everything is working except for access to the Asus web interface.

If the Asus's Dhcp server is disabled you will need to assign a static IP to your computer temporarily; for example, IP 192.168.1.11, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1. You will then be able to access its Web type interface. Note that as soon as you change the router's LAN to 192.168.0.z you will then change your computer IP back to dynamic, and then access the Asus at 192.168.0.z.

To change your computer's IP from dynamic to static or vice versa ...

In Network Connections right click on your connection (in this case the ethernet or LAN) - Properties - TCP/IP (for ipv4) - Properties - and it will be fairly obvious how to change it.
Member with 635 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 06:49 PM #13
OK by changing the default gateway to 198.168.1.1 I was able to log into the ASus (secondary router) web interface.

But I did not yet disable the DHCP server, and changed the IP to 192.168.0.264.

So after changing back the TCP to dyanamic, I cannot connect to internet at all.

A diagnostic says the remote host cannot communicate with DNS server (192.168.0.264)

And I cannot access the 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.264 web interface of the Asus router

Last edited by holymoly; 01-Feb-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Computer Specs

01-Feb-2010, 07:00 PM #14
I think that you best go back to my post # 10. To configure the Asus it should be connected to power and one computer and nothing else.
Member with 635 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 07:12 PM #15
I reset the Asus router, and then got into the web address 192.168.1.1

I then disabled DHCP server, But I am able to connect to the web, and I was able to encrypt the SSID.

I believe the LAN IP range is 192.168.1.2 to

192.168.1.264. I think someone mentioned 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.264 would be more

optimal?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!