Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Wireless Router for HughesNet modem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Feb-2010, 10:45 AM #1
Best Wireless Router for HughesNet modem
Hello -
I don't necessarily have a problem but I would like an opinion. I currently have a HughesNet HN7000S modem coupled with a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router. Its been a good combination for me for about 4 years now but I feel the router may be a little slow in comparison to what I would like. The problem is I do not know what I should replace the old router with.
I work 100% from home and I VPN into multiple client sites on a daily basis therefore I need the best response time I can get. I really like the Linsys router and would like to stay with that brand but there are so many different models out there that I don't know what to pick.
Also, my computer is company issued and I have no control over the build of it. I currently have a Dell Latitude laptop but will soon have it replaced with an HP but again I will not have any control over 'guts' of the machine.
So, any suggestions on what I can do to boost my router interaction with my HughesNet modem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 02:30 PM #2
That router is fully able to handle any data rate that your satellite connection can feed it, I don't see any reason to look for an upgrade if it's working well.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 02:44 PM #3
Thanks John. I appreciate the input.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 07:14 PM #4
You're welcome.

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
Computer Specs
Member with 320 posts.

02-Feb-2010, 01:18 AM #5
Why do you feel you need a faster router? Do you find something slow? If you do I would try to run a Cat6 cable from the router to your computer to see if it improves because you wont get a better connection then running a Network cable instead of wireless.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!