Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop will not connect to WIFI, all of a sudden!

(!)

Member with 939 posts.

Experience: Very basic...
08-Feb-2010, 11:42 AM #1
Solved: Laptop will not connect to WIFI, all of a sudden!
A couple of days ago, my HP Presario V6000 (OS: Vista) was connecting to my WIFI through my router ( Linksys model WRT 54G) at home and working without any problems. Today, it will not connect to WIFI and not to the internet, but my Mini HP laptop does, through the same router and works fine, along with my desktop through which the router is connected. As far as I know, I didn't do anything that would cause this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 12:16 PM #2
What steps have you taken so far? I'll assume that you've at least checked to make sure that the Wifi switch on your laptop didn't get turned to off by accident. Can you see your wireless network as a possibility to connect to? Ensure device manager doesn't have any yellow triangles for the wireless modem.
Member with 939 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 12:48 PM #3
The WIFI switch is over to the right where the WIFI symbol is..I'm assuning that means 'ON'... to the best of my knowledge it wasn't moved.
When I click on the Wireless Connection icon, there are no connections available, usually, there are several listed. It says that 'Windows cannot find any networks'. I couldn't find the 'wireless modem' that you mentioned. I even tried a system restore to a earlier time and that didn't help either. When I tried to do a 'Dianose and repair' for the network connection, the message was that I should 'Plug a cable into the network adapter "Local Area Connection". I never unplugged any cable.
Member with 939 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 12:57 PM #4
PS. When I looked at the 'Network Adapters' there is only one there...NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller...the mini laptop (Win XP) has Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and Marvel Yukon 88E8040 PCI Fast Ethernet Contoller. Usually, when the laptop was connecting to the internet, I believe, I saw a message that said ' HP Wireless Assistant WLAN: On' ...It doesn't do it now.
Member with 939 posts.

08-Feb-2010, 02:42 PM #5
The problem is solved!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There should have been 2 controllers in the Network Adapters. I connected the laptop directly to the cable outlet and found out that I must have prevented Vista from downloading some updates. As a result, the WLAN controller was removed...after the updates were installed, everything returned to normal!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!