Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connection broken occasionally

(!)

ErrorProxy ErrorProxy is offline ErrorProxy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

13-Mar-2010, 02:02 AM #1
Question Connection broken occasionally
So here's my hardware:
Linksys dual-band Wireless-N USB Adapter WUSB600N
Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router 4 Port WRT54G Ver. 2
Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem

My internet runs pretty fast on my skeleton (that what I call my recently built computer) at 1-2 bars. It rarely goes higher than that. My laptop however, is right next to my skeleton and it gets 4-5 bars. I'm fine with the weak connection because it's rather fast. But sometimes the skeleton gets reception, but cannot load anything from the web. I run troubleshoot and this problem comes up: "The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken."

Is there any way to boost my signal, without moving my skeleton closer to the modem? Try not to suggest ethernet cables, please. I'd have to carry my skeleton all the way downstairs. Could it be an incompatability with N adapther and G router?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Mar-2010, 12:11 PM #2
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

13-Mar-2010, 02:38 PM #3
Your adapter comes with a 5 foot (minus an inch) extension cable, right? Have you moved the adapter higher, to the side, etc., and still only get at most 40% signal strength while the laptop gets 80% or better?
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 04:41 AM #4
Even when my Skeleton only gets 1-2 bars. When I go into Task Manager, I get 36 Mbps. My laptop only gets 12-24 Mbps.

And yes. I've moved my usb adapter cord nearer to where my laptop is, as far as it can go. Which is also the direction of where the router is downstairs.

My dad, just today bought a new computer, whilst he bought back the router that I had returned before. It's Linksys WRT610N. I've tried installing the one I returned before. I installed it, but couldn't get any internet. I went back to Best Buy telling them my problem. They said it's not as simple as just installing the hardware and software. You have to open some ports... which ports? I hate Linksys customer service.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2010, 10:40 AM #5
There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know," but Best Buy apparently has not yet learned that simple, honest phrase. There are no ports to open to connect to a router or to get internet access. You open ports, or do port forwarding, only when some special access is needed from the internet side--for example, I opened two ports so that my camera can be accessed from the internet.

I assume the 36 Mbps and 12-24 Mbps you mentioned are nominal connection speeds. Those are low, and indicate that the signal strength is weak or there is interference (such as from another wireless network).

To help with the Linksys "couldn't get any internet" problem we'd need to know more information, such as: can you connect successfully by ethernet? Do you detect the wireless network? Do you get a valid IP configuration? Can you communicate with the router via ping or accessing the configuration pages?
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 03:21 PM #6
36 Mbps and 24 Mbps are slow? I got these from the task manager network tab.

My Skeleton can connect to the internet and webpages can load pretty fast. But the problem is it disconnects sometimes. I unplug the adapter and plug it in again, and it works. It's unpredictable and I want it to stop.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2010, 04:03 PM #7
A good 802.11g connection will have a nominal connection of 54 Mbps; actual data throughput maxes out at about 1/2 the nominal connection.
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 04:15 PM #8
I'm pretty far from my router though... and there's a lot of walls in between me and the router. Webpages load fast, I don't lag in games. That's all that matters to me.

My solution is that I install the N router and the Skeleton will get 5 bar connections. But I've set it up before and it didn't work.. so I'm not sure how to set it up now. I just follow the directions? NO ports to open? Or whatever?
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2010, 04:31 PM #9
Reset the N router to factory default settings.

With the modem and router unplugged connect the modem to the router's WAN port.

Plug in modem. Plug in router.

You should be able to scan for wireless networks, find the new one and connect to it and have internet access.

Assuming this works well you can then configure the router--assign SSID, encryption, etc. Best, of course, to do this with an ethernet connection.
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 04:34 PM #10
Uh.. explain how to do those steps.. My router is downstairs with another computer. Yes that is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2010, 04:41 PM #11
Step 1 is called RTM: Read The Manual that came with the N router. It will tell you how to reset to factory default settings, and later sections will tell how to login to it and configure it.

If you don't know how to get downstairs or to unplug electrical equipment I don't think I can adequately explain.
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 04:45 PM #12
But that's exactly what I did last time.. followed directions, (made a new wireless network?) set up pass and what not. No internet. Is it supposed to be the same network? Or you make a new one?
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2010, 04:50 PM #13
You do not make a wireless network. That's the router's job. You, using a computer, scan for the router's wireless signal and connect to it.

Then you change the router's network name (SSID) to something you like, add encryption, etc. Then you go back to your wireless computer(s) and again scan for the network and connect to it--you will be prompted to enter the encryption key.

If you make the SSID the same as your current one you'll probably have to delete the profile from your wireless utility before connecting the first time.
Computer Specs
Member with 323 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 04:52 PM #14
So.. my wireless Networks name is FOREVER, after I install the router it'll still be called FOREVER?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Mar-2010, 05:13 PM #15
Your wireless network name will be whatever the SSID of the router is set to.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bars, connection, incompatability, linksys, troubleshoot

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!