Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Adapter utility conflict

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

15-Mar-2010, 04:58 PM #1
Wireless Adapter utility conflict
I have been having a problem with my wireless adapter disconnecting randomly. I was reading the forum and saw that it might be caused by having two utilities open at once and i tried closing the utility that came with the adapter but the windows utility still had me disconnecting, but i wasn't sure how to not use the windows utility so that i can try using just the Linksys. My adapter is a Linksys WMP11v4 and my network is a Netgear but i'm not sure what model. Any help would be appreciated.
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2010, 05:10 PM #2
as general advice I would suggest removing the software that came with the adapter and see if Windows will install it's own device drivers for it. This may or may not work - if it does then windows will be able to manage the adapter and from experience this can solve a lot of issues like this. I often find the vendor supplied utilities are more hassle than they are worth.

What I do in these situations is locate the drivers on the install disk for the adapter and install those when Windows ask for them if you install the adapter manually. i.e. do not use the install routine that came on cd with the adapter - just extract and use the drivers on the cd for that device - this lets windows manage the adapter and this might help.

somewhat generic advice I am afraid...but a thought.

Steve
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2010, 06:22 PM #3
Here is something to look at to see if windows wireless manager is indeed running.Only one wireless client should be running because as stated above,if 2 are running conflicts will occur.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

• Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
• WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

15-Mar-2010, 08:03 PM #4
Quote:
... but i wasn't sure how to not use the windows utility so that i can try using just the Linksys.
If XP: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Wireless Zero Configuration - stop it and set the Startup Type to 'Disabled.'

If Vista or 7 this is not an option (WLAN Autoconfig has to run).
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Mar-2010, 12:00 AM #5
Thank you for the help, I tried these things and they didn't work either.

@Stever26: I would try doing that only i bought the wireless adapter used and so i had to download the drivers off the internet to install the device, so there aren't any drivers for me to extract, just the setup file
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!