Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connecting 2 wireless routers to each other (linking their networks)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2010, 07:43 AM #1
Connecting 2 wireless routers to each other (linking their networks)
It seems there are a lot of posts about networking with routers, but I believe from looking at the other posts that this has not already been answered, so here it is:

So, basically I want to know if I can take two wireless routers (each having its own internet) and connect them to each other wirelessly to link the networks of computers that are connected to each individual router for file sharing, etc.

I have two Verizon FiOS routers ( Model #: MI424WR ), each one individually goes to its own Verizon FiOS connection, meaning that in my house there are two separate Verizon FiOS subscriptions to two different people with their own little Verizon box thing hooked up attached to the side of the house. One is connected by a WAN Ethernet line, and the other one connects by a WAN COAX line, I don't really know the difference or why the Verizon guys that installed them each set it up that way, but it seems like perhaps useful information (and I'm just sort of curious). I'm also using Windows 7 64-bit.

I could connect the two routers with a wired connection if I have to, because they're not far from each other, but I would prefer to have them connect to each other with their wireless functions. I'm not sure if what I'm talking about is even possible (if not then it would be great if someone could tell me what I have to do to establish a wired connection that would link the networks) or if this is just a dumb question. I've tried looking around in my Network and Sharing Center and other related places for any options or something to do what I'm looking for, but no luck---please help, I don't know where/how to begin.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Mar-2010, 08:07 AM #2
Well, the answer is no, the MI424WR will not bridge wirelessly to another router.

Quite frankly, connecting the routers together with a wired connection will be problematic as well, since you'd have two DHCP servers. If you really want to share the FiOS connection, the right way is to get the boxes configured for Ethernet (which one is), and use a dual-WAN router. Then you only have a single network with access to the bandwidth of both FiOS connections.

Why not lose one FiOS connection and save money? Hard to believe one FiOS connection won't serve the whole network.

How much bandwidth do you need?
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 09:03 AM #3
aren't they both configured for ethernet? They are both hooked up to desktops with ethernet cords for internet. I'm not sure I understand how to set up the routers to have "dual-WAN" with the total bandwidth of both the routers, if you could explain how I do that that would be great, and would solve my problem (and then some).
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 09:04 AM #4
holy crap my FiOS connection is nothing near that... do you have something special? my down speed is 8-9mb/s and up is 1.5-2mb/s

that result is with nobody else using internet on the router

Last edited by Comapazine; 26-Mar-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 04:08 PM #5
The package I have for FiOS is 35/35, though I've never seen more than 25 on the upload test. It's "sufficient" for most uses.

When I spoke of a dual-WAN router, I'm actually talking about a new piece of equipment. Take a look at these models to start.

LINKSYS RV042
XINCOM XC-DPG502
EDIMAX BR-624
D-Link DI-LB604
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 09:24 PM #6
yeah, I think I'm SoL with those prices to buy another router
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2010, 10:08 AM #7
You can get a dual-WAN router for around $100 if you look around, that shouldn't be totally prohibitive, right? I don't think there's a clean way to accomplish your goal with no expenditure.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
linking 2 routers, network, router, sharing, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!