Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I think a very smart hacker is messing with my wireless network, Help me!

(!)

Member with 143 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 12:58 PM #1
I think a very smart hacker is messing with my wireless network, Help me!
Hi everyone, I'm noticing something weird going on with my wireless network. Sometimes the firewall or the anti-virus just shuts off by itself, I tried changing the wireless network password and settings but I still experience some strange stuff happening, like someone else is logged onto my computer because I've experienced the browser being minimized and closed before without my doing.....please tell me it's all in my head, lol.

I recently tried to access some files from one of the computers on my network and I noticed two other router under the name "Network Infrastructure", I only used to notice "residential gateway" there before!

I have uploaded the screenshot of the other 2 unknown connection. Please help me guys!
Attached Thumbnails
I think a very smart hacker is messing with my wireless network, Help me!-capture.png  

Last edited by ladex142; 27-Mar-2010 at 01:04 PM..
highspeed highspeed is offline highspeed has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2010, 01:51 PM #2
What have you done since this happened or you noticed it?

Have you resetted the Wireless router, change your SSID, disable network broadcasting.
Set a passphrase, enable WPA wireless encryption.
Member with 143 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 02:07 PM #3
I changed my SSID, disabled network broadcasting and also restricted wireless connectionn to only the Mac address of known devices (mainly my laptop and my sister's) but couldn't get anything to connect successfully afterwards. I used the highest security level available to my router (WPA2) and couldn't connect until and used WPA wireless encryption and enabled network broadcasting and disabled restriction on what gets connected.

I also noticed something else, the Belkin router still shows up even after I manually turned off wireless access from my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
I think a very smart hacker is messing with my wireless network, Help me!-zzzzz.png  
Member with 143 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 02:08 PM #4
I'm using a Netgear router...
highspeed highspeed is offline highspeed has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2010, 02:34 PM #5
Don't you know if there's anyone in your hood who uses a wifi with such name?

Have you checked in your manual why when you disable broadcasting and allow only manually entered MAC addresses of wireless devices to have access to the wifi?

Have you check for firmware update.
Member with 143 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 03:05 PM #6
There's only one firmware update ever released for the router I have and that was in 2007. I'm sure I've seen a Belkin in the available connections before....I'll reset the router and try to use the highest security settings throughout and get back at you to let you know how it all turned out
Member with 143 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 05:44 PM #7
After extensive research on the Internet, i think i can safely conclude that it's a windows 7 problem. For some reason my computer is detecting other nearby routers; this makes sense because I can still detect these router even with my router turned off.

Anyways, I've reset, reinstall firmware update for my router, and changed my security settings to the highest security possible on my router. So far, everything seems to be ok, I'll let you know if anything comes up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!