Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Connection Drops Same Time Everyday

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 301 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Apr-2010, 10:20 PM #1
Internet Connection Drops Same Time Everyday
I noticed (at least when im online this late) that the internet goes down between 12-1am PST everyday. I contacted Time Warner Cable and they recommended running a direct connection from modem to computer for testing.

I replaced my WRT54GS router recently with a WRT54GL because of a similar connection issue. I put the stock firmware on it this time (No DD-WRT or Tomato).

After the connection goes down I disconnect the cable modem for a couple minutes/reconnect and it's good to go.

I'm not sure if this could be it, but could it be when the router leases renew everyday (someone said it was transparent i guess that means it shouldn't matter?)

Anyway, any help?

More info: ALL connections go down. It has happened during the day if I recall correctly but usually around the same time 12-1am every night. Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,463 posts.

12-Apr-2010, 12:56 PM #2
Usually the lease renewal occurs half way through the lease and is transparent.

If you (your router's WAN that is) are losing connection at the half way mark there is something strange going on (something I do not understand).

If you are losing it at the end of the lease it means it did not get renewed for some reason.

If you are losing it at the same time every day because that's when your Time Warner Cable scans their network for invalid equipment then you need to find out why. Find out if they check for the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem. (Note that not all tech support people are even going to know about this.) If they do, you need to get them to change their records to your router's WAN MAC Address, or set your router to use whatever Time Warner is looking for. At the same time check to see if their records correctly identify your modem's MAC Address.

I guess Time Warner could be doing some kind of maintenance (other than the above mentioned scan) on their network and causing a brief outage, but that doesn't seem too likely to me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!