Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Connection disconnects when streaming (VPN)

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Apr-2010, 05:39 AM #1
Internet Connection disconnects when streaming (VPN)
Hi,

I am having a big problem with my internet connection. I connect to the internet through a VPN connection to my university. However, each time I see a video on youtube (or elsewhere), listen streamed music or even talk using Skype, my internet connection disconnects immediately.

I have had this problem with Windows Vista, and now that I have installed Windows 7 the problem is still the same.

So for every kind of streaming my internet connection (through VPN) almost immediately disconnects.

Any hints about this ?

Thanks

Last edited by djdashi; 12-Apr-2010 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Typo on the title
Senior Member with 198 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2010, 09:36 AM #2
did you contact your university help desk? Its possible they have it set to only allow certain types of traffic to pass. Another thing is dropped packets. If you drop too many packet its possible the vpn will drop and since streaming might be using potentially large amounts of bandwidth...
Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Apr-2010, 04:03 PM #3
How can I monitor dropped packets ?

All of my friends that are using the same VPN connection are not having problems when streaming .

I doubt is a problem related to my computer ..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!