Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Modem keeps losing DSL sync

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner-Intermediate
22-Apr-2010, 10:41 AM #1
Solved: Modem keeps losing DSL sync
A couple years ago I finally got on the DSL train and got service through AT&T. It's been rather good, albeit spotty at rare times... until the past month or so. While randomly browsing the internet, it quit working(DSL light went off and lost connectivity to the internet). I called AT&T's tech support, and they told me to unplug the modem, wait a few minutes, then plug back in. It did the trick and things were smooth again until yesterday. I did the same thing, but this time I had to leave it unplugged for 30 minutes or so. Had to do it again this morning after it went out overnight. I want to know if it's the modem's fault or perhaps bad lines on AT&T's behalf. (My phone service was uninterrupted each time)

Specs:
Modem:
Type: Motorola 2210-02
Firmware: 7.7.3r5 (Both AT&T and Motorola's sites say not to mess with the firmware)
Computer:
Type: Dell Dimension DE051
Processor: 2.53 GHz Celeron
RAM: 1GB

Note: AT&T's tech guy did tell me that a certain run of these modems were defective, but claims my serial number wasn't in that run. Not sure I believe him right about now...
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Apr-2010, 11:53 AM #2
Well, the only way to really find out is to swap out the modem. Are you SURE nothing has changed in the in-house wiring?

22-Apr-2010, 12:25 PM #3
Definitely not the wiring (at least inside the house), so I'm off to the AT&T store tomorrow to pick up a new modem. I'll keep posted if it does/doesn't help.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Apr-2010, 10:18 AM #4
The 2210 modem has a very bad rep.as to longevity.A little over a year seems to be it's breaking point.As you probably noticed it runs very hot,which seems to create some internal issues.
I am on my third one and it has started to be a bit flackey so I decided to change modems and just save the 2210 for emergencies.

23-Apr-2010, 03:06 PM #5
And that is what I was afraid of, pedroguy. I got up there today and they don't even stock 2210s up there. I should have taken that as a sign. Would I be better off ponying up the $100 they were asking for the 2Wire DSL Gateway, then?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Apr-2010, 03:17 PM #6
Absolutely not.The 2 wire does not have a good rep either.
Go online(in US I assume),take a look at Amazon.com and Newegg.com.
I got an actiontec gt724r,based on user reviews.Does not have wireless capability but the gt724wgr does.Amazon ships free and no state taxes.
It was a snap to install and quickly interfaced with my existing att dsl connection.
Hope this helps.

28-Apr-2010, 05:46 PM #7
It helped me out some, pedroguy. I ordered a different Actiontec, the GT701D through WalMart (I know it's cringe-worthy, but it was $2 less than through NewEgg.) Granted, there's only ONE rating for it on NewEgg's sited, but WalMart had 19 reviews, and only 3 were 2-star and under. It's still in transit and will be here Friday at the earliest, but I am going to marked this as solved. If I can't get the new one working, that's a different problem. I'm confident I can get it to work and use the old 2210 in case of emergency.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!