Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reconfiguring my old router with new modem

(!)

Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Apr-2010, 11:26 AM #1
Reconfiguring my old router with new modem
i have been having tons of problems with my interent of late. i had a dsl modem that was disconnecting all the time while direct connected to my pc, so i switched ISP to a cable modem. Right now i am direct connected to that modem and i dont seem to be having any problems, but when i try to connect my wireless router to it i sometimes get a working connection for 15-30 minutes or i get no connectivity at all. my wireless adapter software on my PC says i am getting a perfect wireless connection even though my modem isnt giving the router any internet whatsoever. (although the router is still powered on). i tried restoring my router back to factory settings in between these two different modems and that seemed to go ok, but it didnt help my wireless connection problem. im pretty sure buying a new router would solve this problem pretty easily, but id rather not spend $100 if i dont have to.

wirelss router - Linksys WRT54G version 6 (2-3 years old, lots of different connections with different ISPs)
wirelss adapter - Linksys USB wirless adapter
ISP - Sudden Link
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
28-Apr-2010, 12:05 PM #2
That classic WRT54G will still give you years of use (at least if you don't need IPv6 connectivity, and few people do right now).

Have you logged into the router? Is it being assigned an IP address? Did you need a username and password with your previous connection?

Check the router's settings. It may be something obvious.
Member with 15 posts.

28-Apr-2010, 12:39 PM #3
yeah, ive logged on to the router's website, i have the pasword to do so, but i reset the router to default settings and then reconfigured (i thought correctly) to my new cable connection. i have it set to find the IP automatically. i pretty much followed the Linksys guide to configuring the router to the connection.

before i reset to factory settings i was using a password to connect to this router, but currently after i reset the router i dont need a password to connect. i just dont understand why my wireless adapter software is telling me my connection is still good even though i cant load a web page or do anything else.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

28-Apr-2010, 03:12 PM #4
Hi:Just for a reference,I have provided a link to the linksys site,for a review of the connection steps.
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=3686
Can you ping the router(default gateway) ?
Can you ping google.com?
Make and model of new modem.Is it just a modem or modem/router combo.

can you ping the ipaddress of the pc ?
If not,let's see:
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

As Elvandil indicated,I have used that router for many years and it seems to be pretty much bullet proof. in all environments.
Also,make sure that you only have one wireless manager running.Either windows default or the linksys manager.
Delete all existing wireless profiles and then re connect to the correct wireless network.
Also here is a link to a little wireless utility to show you what close by nets your pc is "seeing".
Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
www.www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Last edited by pedroguy; 28-Apr-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Apr-2010, 04:44 PM #5
Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.
  1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!