Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I stop my XP machine seeing every file on networked Windows 7 machine?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-May-2010, 08:55 AM #1
How do I stop my XP machine seeing every file on networked Windows 7 machine?
My problem seems to be the opposite of most people's - I added a Windows 7 laptop to my previously all-XP network without any trouble, simply enrolling the new machine in the existing Workgroup, and everything works fine.

Except for just one snag: from my XP machine I can see every single file on the Windows 7 machine, which raises privacy issues even within a family!

How do I stop this happening, and revert back to the situation I had before, where machines on the network could only see each other's shared folders?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by mmaggot; 13-May-2010 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: To correct spelling error.
Member with 309 posts.

13-May-2010, 09:11 AM #2
Well, a rough and dirty security fix would be to make sure that "Password Protected Sharing" in the Network and Sharing Center is set to "On." That way the files will be safe but still visible.

Are you logging into w7 with a password?

Create an account below Administrator level with a password and use that.

Theoretically w7 should not allow a drive to be shared, so check all the folders that show the "Share" symbol and set the Share to "Not Shared".

Dave
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,256 posts.

13-May-2010, 10:21 AM #3
By default only the Public folder is shared.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file sharing, networking, windows 7, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!