Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

NAS setup help!

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-May-2010, 01:12 PM #1
Talking NAS setup help!
I need to connect five computers to an NAS which will be used as shared file storage, and as hard drive backup space (i'm not sure the backup space is such as good idea because that would take up tons of room and we can use DVDs for that, would that be better?)

One computer is roughly 30 feet away, and we're looking to get all new computers that are running windows 7 x64, one will be running windows 7 x32. We're installing an new linksys advanced N router so should I get a wireless NAS so we all can access it, or will connecting a standard NAS to the router work?

I've never used an NAS before, I'm sure you all can tell, finally does it behave like a router, where you access the interface through the computer that's hardwired to it?

Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,231 posts.

13-May-2010, 03:57 PM #2
If at all possible you want to connect the NAS by ethernet; only use wireless if there is no way to run a cable between the router and NAS.

I don't know you or the other users, but my opinion is that only the most disciplined people keep up to date backups on DVDs or similar. Less disciplined people are more likely to backup to a "permanently" attached NAS, and there is even more likelihood of regular backups if they are scheduled.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-May-2010, 04:04 PM #3
You wire the NAS directly to the router, then all the machines will have access to it. Since there isn't any reason not to locate the NAS with the router, there's also no reason to attempt to run it wirelessly.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
nas, network attached storage

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!