Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WiFi Request timed out problem

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

16-May-2010, 04:04 AM #1
WiFi Request timed out problem
Hello!

Please help. I have a wireless router connected to the DSL modem. I can connect, browse and download files from the internet with no problems when the computer is cable connected to the router. But when the computer is wirelessly connected I experienced dropouts and randomly get "Request timed out" message when I ping Yahoo and Google. Yet I am still connected to the internet and downloads still goes on without break even if the internet connection has timed out, though I cannot run my browser and surf because of the time out. I tried this with another computer and got the same problem. I replaced the wireless router but this did not solve the problem. I did not have this problem before and it started only two weeks ago. My OS is Windows XP SP2. Any advise please?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-May-2010, 09:52 AM #2
Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

17-May-2010, 09:56 AM #3
Here is the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
WiFi Request timed out problem-xirrus-wifi-inspector-1.jpg  
Computer Specs

17-May-2010, 10:03 AM #4
If it's wired it works properly? Even though your display shows no wireless interference, I'd try changing the router to channel 6 and see if that changes things.

18-May-2010, 09:34 AM #5
I am now in Channel 6 from Channel 1 but I still get random 'Request timed out' message when I ping Yahoo or Google. This occurs only in WiFi but not when I connect via cable to the router. Here is a screen shot of the Ping.
Attached Thumbnails
WiFi Request timed out problem-ping-yahoo.jpg  
Computer Specs

18-May-2010, 11:23 AM #6
Well, you seem to have hardware issues with the wireless connection. I'd start with updating the drivers, and if that doesn't do it, move on to considering a new wireless adapter.

18-May-2010, 07:51 PM #7
Thanks for the suggestion.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!