Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setting up a school network

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-May-2010, 12:45 PM #1
Setting up a school network
Hi,

I'm good with computers, but have no idea when it comes to networking. I have been asked to set up a network for our school in Kenya. We currently have one server running windows server 2003. We also have about 35 computers around the school all running windows xp pro sp2. It is a wired network, and we wish to give usernames and passwords for every child and teacher in the school (160 people) so that they can log on. Can I do that with the current set up, or do I have to put windows server on every computer (and replace windows xp) Also, when this has been done, would I be able to set up each child with their own user area to save work into?

Many Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Robin
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-May-2010, 03:56 PM #2
You're fine with what you have.

Configure all of the XP computers for a domain login. You'll just have to create user accounts for all the people on the server, then they can login to their account from any computer.
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Einstein
24-May-2010, 07:17 PM #3
On the windows Server 2003, you have to promote it to a Domain Controller.

Start, Run, DCPROMO (or you can do it through the Wizard)

Either way, first set a static IP, and being you have only one server, you probably want it to do DHCP and DNS services, too.

After you get your Active Directory server installed, you can Join the Windows XP computers to the domain, and you can use Active Directory Users and Computers (a tool on the server under Administrative Tools... also Start, Run, DSA.MSC) to create the 160 accounts. You can also setup home directories and even Re-Direct the My Documents if you wish.

Really, all you need if it is wired is a single, typical 48 port switch.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!