Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet will not stay connected

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-May-2010, 11:43 PM #1
Internet will not stay connected
A week ago my internet light on my modem quit working and thus I couldn't get on the internet. AT&T determined my modem went caput so I bought a new one. I now have a motorola modem 2210-02. Ever since I got it the longest my internet has stayed on is 24 hours and then the light is back off and I'm out of commission again. I have bypassed my usual netgear wireless router wgr614v6 and hooked the modem directly to my desktop. I never know what causes it to go out nor what causes it to come back on. I just got it to come back on, but all I did was restart my pc about 3 or 4 times and all the sudden it's back on. I have been checking my ipconfig whenever it is off or on and here is what I've found when the ip address is 192.168.1.64 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway 192.168.1.254 the internet works fine....when it the ip address is 10.0.0.1 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is 10.0.0.2 it DOES NOT work. The power, ethernet, and dsl lights on my modem always work, but the internet light (and thus internet access) is the light that flashes forever, turns red, and goes off.

I am not very knowledgeable in this area, but I can't afford to pay someone to help me. Please please please help me fix this. AT&T won't help me anymore as they say it is a problem with my pc. TIA!
Junior Member with 13 posts.

27-May-2010, 02:57 AM #2
gassmann,

You say you now have a hard line connection from modem to PC.
Check the network adapter in DEVICE MANAGAER (Right click on my computer, properties, device manager) and look for network adapters, locate the ethernet card and write down the name of it, double click on it and go to driver (Write down the driver date and version), now you can either go to windows update to see if there is an updated driver there or go to the brand name of the drivers homepage and look for the driver.
Once you locate an updated driver, uninstall the old driver and then install the new one.
If there is no updated driver available uninstall the the old driver anyway, then click on ACTION in device manager and then scan for hardware changes, this will install the driver, then try the connection again and see how that works.
Computer Specs
Member with 286 posts.

Experience: WebDev
27-May-2010, 03:31 AM #3
If your using windows vista, look into disabelling IPV2 connection in network settings. Look it up on here, there is a thread for it.
Computer Specs

27-May-2010, 09:14 PM #4
Nope, not vista, it's windows xp.

How do I update a driver if I can't connect to the internet? I am doing this from an alternate location. It has now decided not to work at all unless I reset the modem and then it only works for a few minutes and sometimes even though the internet light is on I can't actually do anything online because it acts like it's not connected. If I could get it fixed with the hardline then I NEED to reconnect my router.
Junior Member with 13 posts.

28-May-2010, 12:38 AM #5
OK,
You use a $10.00 flash drive, external usb hard drive or burn the driver onto a cd from the alternate location, then take it to your computer.
Or simply uninstall the network driver on your computer and reinstall, your driver might be corrupted.
Look at it this way when you have all these problem sometimes the best thing to do is to start over:
New driver or freshly installed driver, if you have automatic updates a new driver might have been installed and you have no idea it happennned, so maybe do a driver rollback and see if that solves the problem, the way most of the people in this forum solve a problem is one step at a time.
From what you wrote the modem is not communicating with the land card.
When you do decide to to reinstall, rollback or update the driver make sure you reset the modem.
Computer Specs

28-May-2010, 04:41 PM #6
Okay, I uninstall the driver and try to install the new one I downloaded onto the flash drive, but it tells me the driver is not updatable and I need to uninstall the old one. It keeps giving me that message. I tried uninstalling it and restarting the pc, but as soon as it boots up it automatically reinstalls the old driver. How do I stop it from doing that?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!