Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Advice needed for career progression in I.T

(!)

Member with 188 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2010, 09:27 AM #1
Advice needed for career progression in I.T
Hello everybody

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong area, but i didn't know where else to post it

I've been working as an I.C.T Technician for just over 2 years now and i am looking for ways i can progress and improve.

I passed my A+ and CCNA and i have learnt a lot of experience on the job but i feel as though i have come to a bit of a standstill with progression... And i havent touched on any of my CCNA stuff so a lot of i think i'll have forgotten

I wouldn't mind a go at web design, but i think i'd prefer the more technical support side of things... I'd like to learn about Server management, network support etc.

1. Is there any courses that you guys would recomend?

2. Or any other advice that would help me along my way?

I have been looking at the MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) and did some practice questions but a lot of it looked fairly straightforward (although the title would help)...

CompTIA Network+ and the MCSA look alright, then progressing towards an MCSE, but i'm not too sure!

Any advice would be great as i do enjoy my job and i'm keen to learn more

If you need any more information, let me know but i tried not to write loads to put people off

Thanks again,

Lanks
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
14-Jun-2010, 11:53 AM #2
You are way ahead of me.

My title, "LANMaster" is more from the days of DOS and early Windows networking. Since then I have stayed away from IT pretty much.

There are several Tech Moderators that would be far better suited to pointing you in the right direction.

Best of luck .... Mike
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 01:40 PM #3
With the CCNA already under your belt the N+ / Network + would be of little benefit, but an easy target.

Honestly, at your cert level I think you need to find a job that will help you develop, as hands on with what you know sounds like your real weak spot right now. Many companies multi-task their employees too, so maybe look somewhere that will let you do layer 1, plus networking and an opportunity at server stuff, maybe thin clients?
Member with 188 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 02:50 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANMaster View Post
You are way ahead of me.

My title, "LANMaster" is more from the days of DOS and early Windows networking. Since then I have stayed away from IT pretty much.

There are several Tech Moderators that would be far better suited to pointing you in the right direction.

Best of luck .... Mike
Thanks for getting back to me, i appreciate it!

Hopefully i'll get some more advice, thanks again, take care!
Member with 188 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 03:08 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by loserOlimbs View Post
With the CCNA already under your belt the N+ / Network + would be of little benefit, but an easy target.

Honestly, at your cert level I think you need to find a job that will help you develop, as hands on with what you know sounds like your real weak spot right now. Many companies multi-task their employees too, so maybe look somewhere that will let you do layer 1, plus networking and an opportunity at server stuff, maybe thin clients?
Thanks a lot for your advice mate

I know, the CCNA is a good platform, but it's quite frustrating - i learnt a lot when studying, then now i've been working at the same place for 2 years, but in that time i havent been allowed to work on the servers or on the network, so i just feel like when the time comes to it - that i wont remember what i had learnt

I agree totally with "hands on" being the problem, yes i have learnt a lot in the time i've been here which i'm very grateful for , but i'd like to keep progressing

I'll keep looking, i do enjoy my job at the moment which i'm thankful for!

Thanks again, i'll keep you updated with any progress i make!

Lanks
Member with 188 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 04:23 AM #6
--> I forgot to mention - if anyone one else can give some advice on the matter - it would really help me out! Thanks again, Lanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!