Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP won't connect to LAN

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 01:03 AM #1
Windows XP won't connect to LAN
I am having a problem with accessing the internet on a desktop.
I have an xbox, iTouch, two laptops (one windows 7, the other windows xp)... these all will connect but when I attempt to plug in the CAT5 cable to the desktop it just will not connect.
I have Road Runner ISP by Time Warner Cable and I am running it through a DLink DIR615. It should also be noted that the desktop will connect when plugged directly from the modem to the desktop.
And on startup there is a Windows system error that says "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."
I have searched and searched for an answer and after 2 days of no results I have to ask!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 08:16 AM #2
Are you using DHCP on the desktop in question, or setting a static IP address?

Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.
  1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
  2. Turn off the router and modem.
  3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
  4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
  5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

11-Jun-2010, 10:49 AM #3
I went through all the steps and it did not work. Now other computers such as my laptop that did work are no longer connecting while other devices are. But the Desktop will still not connect (wired or wireless, even though it says connected on the wireless network.) Any other suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,560 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 11:00 AM #4
Quote:
Any other suggestions?
You missed one thing:

Quote:
Are you using DHCP on the desktop in question, or setting a static IP address?

11-Jun-2010, 11:05 AM #5
I'm sorry I forgot. It is DHCP
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,560 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 03:38 PM #6
For the desktop with both the wired and wireless connections let's take a look at ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection problem, dlink dir615, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!