Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: ***dir-615 first time setup***

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jun-2010, 12:29 PM #1
Solved: ***dir-615 first time setup***
I installed a new dir-615 router(about 3 mos.old-hardware ver.:c1/firmware ver.3.11na) in remote mountain home to main pc using windstream dsl/speedstream 4200 adsl modem. the main pc has mcafee anti-virus/firewall, xp-sp3 & the downstairs pc has xp-sp3 using online armor firewall(but not connected to net,yet). i want to setup a wireless conn. with the pc downstairs(if i can get a strong enough signal) & a laptop. i'm on the main pc now so i have an internet connection after installing the router and i've read on here & elsewhere that you don't need a cd to set it up. my question is, since i'm on the net, What do i need to do now in order to go the the administration interface & set the connection type, the correct pppoe to input, how to determine the wep(not worried about senior neighbors,only 2, hacking in) & any other settings you advise about & to set the other pc & laptop up for a wireless conn? we don't want to have to log in/out daily using a password. Obviously this is the first time i've ever used or tried to setup a router, so pls bear with me. Since i can surf the net, would some of the connection info already been done automatically? Thank you for your time & help. Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-01-36-A9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 18, 2010 10:15:45 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 25, 2010 10:15:45 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

18-Jun-2010, 12:53 PM #2
Since you already have internet access through the router clearly the connection type is correct. You are probably using the Speedstream modem/router in its default router mode, so the correct connection type for another router connected to it is simply "dynamic."

I suggest that you select a name of your choosing for the wireless SSID (name), and get the wireless network working. No other changes are needed unless you run into a problem. Then enable encryption ...

WPA(2)-PSK is secure and usually easier to set up and use than WEP, so use WEP only if you have some device that, even with a driver update, is too old to use WPA.
Computer Specs

18-Jun-2010, 10:59 PM #3
router setup
Thanx for the quick reply/advice terrynet. i've copied the wireless settings page below from dlink & wonder if you could advise which boxes to tick. *in the "wireless security mode section" should i choose>a)enable wpa2 wireless security(enhanced) or wpa2 auto-wireless security(enhanced)? *in the "wpa2 section" which cipher type should i choose>a)tkip,aes,or auto? passphrase is simply a password, correct? also would any of these require a logon/password every time we fire up either pc or laptop? and the same for the "network settings" such as should i choose >auto channel scan or pick a channel? & should i enable hidden wireless too? sorry for all the beginner questions. THANX AGAIN for your time/help. Product Page: WBR-2310 Hardware Version: A1 Firmware Version: 1.04 Setup Advanced Tools Status Support
Wireless Network :

Use this section to configure the wireless settings for your D-Link Router. Please note that changes made on this section may also need to be duplicated on your Wireless Client.

To protect your privacy you can configure wireless security features. This device supports three wireless security modes including: WEP or WPA-Personal.

Wireless Network Settings :

Enable Wireless : Wireless Network Name : (Also called the SSID) Wireless Channel : 1234567891011 Enable Auto Channel Scan :
Super G Mode :
Disabled Super G without Turbo Super G with Dynamic Turbo
Enable Extended Range Mode :
802.11g Only Mode :
Enable Hidden Wireless : (Also called the SSID Broadcast)
Wireless Security Mode :

Security Mode : Disable Wireless Security (not recommended) Enable WEP Wireless Security (basic) Enable WPA Wireless Security (enhanced) Enable WPA2 Wireless Security (enhanced) Enable WPA2-Auto Wireless Security (enhanced)
WEP :

WEP is the wireless encryption standard. To use it you must enter the same key(s) into the router and the wireless stations. For 64 bit keys you must enter 10 hex digits into each key box. For 128 bit keys you must enter 26 hex digits into each key box. A hex digit is either a number from 0 to 9 or a letter from A to F. For the most secure use of WEP set the authentication type to "Shared Key" when WEP is enabled.
You may also enter any text string into a WEP key box, in which case it will be converted into a hexadecimal key using the ASCII values of the characters. A maximum of 5 text characters can be entered for 64 bit keys, and a maximum of 13 characters for 128 bit keys.

Authentication : Open Shared Key
WEP Encryption :
64Bit 128Bit
Key Type :
HEX ASCII Default WEP Key : WEP Key 1 WEP Key 2 WEP Key 3 WEP Key 4 WEP Key 1 : WEP Key 2 : WEP Key 3 : WEP Key 4 :
WPA :

WPA requires stations to use high grade encryption and authentication.

WPA2 :

WPA2 requires stations to use high grade encryption and authentication.

WPA2-auto :

WPA2-Auto requires stations to use high grade encryption and authentication.

Cipher Type :
TKIP AES AUTO
Personal / Enterprise :
Personal Enterprise Passphrase : Confirmed Passphrase :
802.1X
RADIUS Server 1 : IP
Port
Shared Secret
RADIUS Server 2 : IP
Port
Shared Secret

Helpful Hints..

Wireless Netowrk Name:
Changing your Wireless Network Name is the first step in securing your wireless network. We recommend that you change it to a familiar name that does not contain any personal information.

Auto Channel:
If you are not utilizing Super G with Dynamic Turbo for it's speed improvements, we recommend that you Enable Auto Channel Scan so that the router can select the best possible channel for your wireless network to operate on.

Hidden Wireless:
Enabling Hidden Mode is another way to secure your network. With this option enabled, no wireless clients will be able to see your wireless network when they perform scan to see what's available. In order for your wireless devices to connect to your router, you will need to manually enter the Wireless Network Name on each device.

Securty Keys:
If you have enabled Wireless Security, make sure you write down WEP Key or Passphrase that you have configured. You will need to enter this information on any wireless device that you connect to your wireless network.
Copyright 2004-2005 D-Link Systems, Inc.
Computer Specs

19-Jun-2010, 09:27 AM #4
Strongest security is WPA2-PSK AES, but WPA-PSK TKIP has not yet been broken. So choose as strong as your client devices support.

You indicated you'd not see many other wireless networks in your location so the channel may not matter. Sometimes with Auto channel the router changes it frequently and you momentarily lose connection. If that happens then assign a channel. If you get interference from another network on the same or close channel use a different channel.

When you connect to the network with a computer you can choose to save the profile and automatically connect anytime it is within range (you normally want to do this with a home network) or you can choose "one time only" and then have to manually connect the next time (I usually do this at a motel or other place I don't expect to visit often).
Computer Specs

19-Jun-2010, 12:51 PM #5
thanx for the reply. the product page i included in my email was wrong. i have a dir-615. i ended up using the cd setup to configure the network. i'm trying to upgrade the firmware to the latest version 3.12na. i downloaded the file from dlink page, but i can't open it as it says its a "bin file".when i go to the setup page, it shows firmware 3.10na, & my current firmware is 3.11na. can't figure that out so i sent an email to tech support to find out how to go into my router setup & make changes. who knows if that will help. thanx again for the help.
Computer Specs

19-Jun-2010, 02:06 PM #6
In the manual I have page 38 covers "Update Firmware." You've already downloaded the .bin so just Browse to it and click on "Upload."
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2010, 11:20 AM #7
again,thanx for all your help, terrynet. i'll check out the manual & get it updated.i won't bother you anymore.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2010, 11:51 AM #8
You're not bothering me. I just like to let the manual do the talking when I can't improve on it.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2010, 12:38 PM #9
i've configured all the settings & updated the firmware now. i couldn't get to the home interface page, then i remembered to type in the "192.168 page in the firefox address bar to bring it up. thanx again.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2010, 08:29 PM #10
Good. And, you're welcome.

Everything working to your satisfaction now? If so, you can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!