Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Full Signal Strength, cannot get Laptop to connect to WiFi

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 12:40 AM #1
Full Signal Strength, cannot get Laptop to connect to WiFi
I have read through a lot of threads on here and tried different fixes and so far nothing has worked.

• I have disabled the ISATAP Adapter #4 as I thought that was an issue....still not working
  • I have deleted all of my networks and tried to reconnect....still not working.
  • I have tried the ipconfig/all command .... still not working.
  • I have checked and all drivers are up to date.
  • I have reset my router to make sure it wasn't an issue with that.

It either will connect with "local access only" or it will connect for maybe 15 seconds and then the connection is gone, or says it cannot connect because it is not getting an answer from my router.

When I search for a network, it shows my network with full signal strength.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini-card
Running Vista 32bit.

What has changed...

I recently updated my desktop to Windows 7 (not sure if this could effect the Wifi)
Recently switched to Qwest fiber optic internet (but a tech came out and set it up, and everything was working fine until today)

I'm lost now, I am not sure what to do, and my wife needs this computer to be able to connect to Wifi so she can work from home.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 08:18 AM #2
From the non-working computer, let's see this.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

22-Jun-2010, 12:54 PM #3
Ok ran it, and here is the requested screen shot.

Also for some reason it seems to be connected as of right now, not sure what is going on with this thing anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Full Signal Strength, cannot get Laptop to connect to WiFi-xirrus-scree.jpg  
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2010, 01:05 PM #4
That look OK, does this connect using a wired connection?

22-Jun-2010, 01:13 PM #5
No this computer is connected strictly through WiFi.

I had it connected with a wired connection last night in order to check the drivers and stuff, but it was not connected via wire when I ran that test.

Wondering if it was a Qwest issue or something? Didn't seem like it since the signal strength was full, but it is connected today and seems to be working?? Thats the issue, its intermittent.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2010, 01:33 PM #6
I was just wondering if it could connect with a wired connection, apparently your response is yes.

Did you remove the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network and re-enter the encryption key?

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

22-Jun-2010, 02:02 PM #7
Yep did that before I posted in here. I deleted all of the stored networks and started fresh.

And yes the computer can be connected using a wired connection, but my wife works from home some days and this computer is usually down stairs so she can watch the kids, that was the whole reason for getting Wifi
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!