Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connected but stuck at acquiring network address

(!)

Junior Member with 27 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 10:27 AM #1
Connected but stuck at acquiring network address
Hi guys,

I saw a similar post on the forum already, but my problem is a bit different. I have the Dell Wireless 1490 Dual WLAN Mini-card. I have never seen this happen before, but sometimes it shows "acquiring network address" on the wireless icon thing, but I can still use the internet. Other times it says connected but I can't use the internet. At school, I use ethernet most of the time, but when I use wireless, this does not happen. Even when I come home some weekends, the wireless is fine, but recently it started acting strangely and displaying the "acquiring network address" thing when I am already connected. I have the latest drivers for my Wireless card, so what else could I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Andy
Computer Specs
Member with 447 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jun-2010, 10:51 AM #2
if it doesn't happen at school then i think it's ur router.

reset the router to the factory settings and reconfigure
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
22-Jun-2010, 11:52 AM #3
Acquiring a network address message means the adapter is looking for a DHCP server to get an IP address from. If a router or WAP is not handing out addresses it will generally use a default IP address set by the OS (which still may allow internet access). Setting the router to factory defaults is a bad idea because you will need to reconfigure it for your ISP connectivity.

22-Jun-2010, 01:29 PM #4
Then what should I do in the wireless router settings? I'm kinda new to this stuff but other laptops in my house aren't experiencing this. My brother does not have that "acquiring network address" message neither does my mom who is on a mac book. Last week or two, I was still able to connect and actually have that "connected" message (using the same router, same place, same laptop). Only recently, have I been seeing this message pop up.
Computer Specs
Member with 447 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jun-2010, 01:49 PM #5
i dont see any problem resetting the router.
but if you dont want to do that, at least power cycle the router

22-Jun-2010, 02:03 PM #6
We always switch off the router and let it "rest" for a bit when it disconnects by itself.
Can anyone explain how to solve this problem? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
22-Jun-2010, 02:31 PM #7
Resetting a router to factory defaults does just that. Any settings that were there for connecting to your ISP will be gone and internet connectivity will be 0. Unplugging it is one thing, but resetting it is another thing. If others can connect fine and yours is not connectign do not reset or change anything, the computer or the card is the issue. You could try going to Start > Run > cmd and type in ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew this will drop whatever ip address is on the card unless it is set to static and will attempt to acquire a new IP address from your router.

22-Jun-2010, 04:05 PM #8
Ok, for some reason, it doesn't do it anymore. I didn't do anything but it actually shows "connected" now. Anyway, thanks a lot guys, I'll know what to do next time this happens again.

THANKS!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!