Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping out

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2010, 04:12 AM #1
Solved: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping out
I have Windows 7, TP-LINK USB wireless adapter plugged in... I connect up to my Linksys Wireless G Modem Router...

I notice these drop outs more often when i am playing online games that require constant connections (evident in lag and disconnections from the game)

It happens irregularly (when i least expect it, sometimes more often than others). It might not register being disconnected from the net or display limited connectivity. When reconnecting, sometimes i have issue finding my network again or connecting at all... but other times it reconnects no problem.

This is really frustrating ... let me know if there's any other info i can provide to help me out.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 08:06 AM #2
Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 09:47 AM #3
Wifi program screenshot
Here it is... where do we go from here? Appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping out-wifi-pic.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jul-2010, 10:25 AM #4
Ok:Perhaps this is not a problem,I just have not seen it before,but you appear to have 2 channels open 7/11.
Till John gets back to you,why not just use channel 11 and see if that helps.
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 11:15 AM #5
How do I only use one channel?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 11:47 AM #6
That is generally controlled by your router in the wireless settings section.
Also,another area that could affect disconnects:
Make sure that you do not have more than one wireless manager active.Generally either the windows default(wzc or wlan for Vista,and the wireless manager that may have come bundled with your wireless adapter
Here is a path to the services status.In addition to the windows defaults you would be looking for a task name running that would be similar to your wireless adapter maker's name(linksys/belkin etc.)

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
• WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
• Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

02-Jul-2010, 12:05 PM #7
This is a screenie of some services that have been disabled... any help? And i' still unsure as to how to change the channel. I'm not that involved in this kind of stuff..
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping out-services.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 12:09 PM #8
Your router's user's manual should be your guide to channel changing.Look at options and settings available in the wireless/wireless security section.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2010, 12:23 PM #9
Your real issue is your signal is very weak. -90dB is pretty bad, you need to beef that up.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 12:33 PM #10
You think this is my only issue?

+ if i use 802.11n devices, will things with a 2.4Ghz frequency interrupt the signals... i've heard from people this is another issue. For example, my router/modem im connecting to wirelessly is about 30ft away through a few walls and we also have 2.4Ghz phones, garage door opener.. any of this relevant/easily fixed with a stronger wireless adapter?
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2010, 12:34 PM #11
Well, that's clearly the first one to try to solve.

You can try changing your router's configuration to 20mhz channels and pick channel 1, 6, or 11 and see which one gets the strongest signal.
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 12:41 PM #12
Sorry, but how would i go about doing that? thanks
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2010, 12:43 PM #13
Control Panel, Administrative tools,, Computer Management, Services. Scroll down to Windows Zero Configuration and double click it. In the properties, set it to Disabled and also click the Stop button.

It should stay dead now.
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 12:56 PM #14
Should stay dead? what's dying?? haha
Member with 32 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 01:00 PM #15
And Windows zero config... i cannot find this service in my list
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
drop out, internet, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!