Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Wireless Network

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2010, 08:33 AM #1
Solved: New Wireless Network
Hi

Basically I have a Netgear DG834PN which works OK but for some reason it doesn't reach the whole house as fast as I would like therefore I want to extend the wireless connectivity. I am going to get a Netgear DG834GT from my new ISP so basically is it possible to connect them together using wireless so the signal is much stronger throughout the whole house?

At the moment my PC is connected to the DG834PN using ethernet but I cannot get wireless upstairs so I want to somehow extend the signal using DG834GT so my laptop works upstairs.

Thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 09:01 AM #2
I don't think you'll be connecting them wirelessly. If you can run an Ethernet cable between the two router locations, then you can use the following procedure.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc. Note that you should use the same SSID and encryption key for the secondary router but a non-conflicting channel. I recommend channels 1, 6, or 11 for use for the best results.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 09:19 AM #3
OK is there anything I can buy etc that will allow me to extend my coverage without connecting it using wires?
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2010, 09:21 AM #4
You can use a variety of range extending solutions. There are repeaters that will repeat the signal, my only issue with those is that sometimes folks find them hard to configure and get working.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 09:36 AM #5
Hi, thanks for the swift response

They all look great but the problem is that I can't find many stockist of Hawking brand in Britain and my budget is pretty limited.

Is it possible to use any of the following with my DG834PN router?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Dire...855045&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WiFi-Wireles...855045&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-74...lp_edpp_img_in

Also is it possible to configure a normal wireless router (DG834GT) to extend the range like some the products above?

Thanks a lot
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2010, 12:54 PM #6
I'd try this one first. http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Dire...855045&sr=1-13

It's not possible to use your standard router as a range extender, it doesn't operate in that mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 01:59 PM #7
Don't mean to be rude as such but I have no idea where that antenna would fit on my wireless router :S

Any ideas?

EDIT : This is the wireless router I currently have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...8871267&sr=8-1

This is the router I will soon get:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...8871314&sr=1-2

Thank you
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2010, 02:55 PM #8
Well, the new router appears to have a removable antenna, so it will be compatible with standard WiFi antennas. The first one doesn't appear to have an external antenna, so your choices are limited.
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 05:06 PM #9
So basically if I use the new router (DG834G/T) as my main router instead then I will be able to use the antenna?
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2010, 05:16 PM #10
That's what it looks like.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

11-Jul-2010, 08:50 PM #11
But don't assume it is a removable antenna until you know for sure. The Netgear WGR614 looks no different, but does not have a removable antenna. At least my v5 doesn't.
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

12-Jul-2010, 07:25 AM #12
OK, so the antenna is also a maybe then.

So just to reiterate, I cannot add the the DG834PN and DG834GT in the same wireless home network?

Also I would need to use a wireless extender, add an antenna if possible or run Ethernet wires if I want to receive decent coverage upstairs?
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2010, 08:20 AM #13
I think you have correctly analyzed the situation.

According to this thread, that antenna is removable: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/843460.html
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

12-Jul-2010, 08:22 AM #14
OK thanks a lot mate
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

12-Jul-2010, 08:23 AM #15
Just out of curiosity... what is wrong with using a wireless range extender such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-74...lp_edpp_img_in ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dg834, netgear, wifi, wireless router

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!