Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet in every room?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jul-2010, 11:49 AM #1
Question Internet in every room?
Hello everyone,

I am not that great with networking and I was wondering how easy it would be to get cabled broadband into every room in my new house. It is going to be wired in as the house is being built.

I have a BT home hub that has 2 ethernet ports on the back and my thought was to use one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Is it possible to have a Double port wall socket and then connect both of the Ethernet wires from the HomeHub into the wall socket which will then split each ethernet into 4 rooms?

E.g. Ethernet Port 1 will be used to supply 4 ethernet plugs in the upstairs and Ethernet Port 2 will be used to supply 4 Ethernet ports downstairs.

Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes
Member with 938 posts.

Experience: Super Dooper Advanced
17-Jul-2010, 11:57 AM #2
Wow what a great project How many rooms do you want to have wired up?
Bog too? lol
Don't forget the garden and you just have to net the shed !
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,981 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 12:03 PM #3
If you run ethernet cables from the common point to each desired location in the house then you can easily make changes at the common location. You could initially have two ethernet switches, each connected to a router port, as you seem to want. Later you could use just one larger switch or multiple routers or whatever depending on your future needs.
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 01:26 PM #4
So this sort of setup would work? (see attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Internet in every room?-untitled-1.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,981 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 01:44 PM #5
If those 1st two "Wall Sockets" are ethernet switches (or hubs), yes.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 01:46 PM #6
Well I was thinking that they would be just this sort of thing http://www.yok.fi/img/liitinrasia.jpg which would then have ethernet cable connected by using the color coded clips on the back which you slot the cables into.

Thanks Jack-O-Bytes
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 03:04 PM #7
Piece of cake. Just run homerun drops from the location where you will terminate the network to each of the jack locations in the house. Since cable is cheap and labor is expensive, I'd run two cables to each box from the junction. Make sure they're clearly labeled as to where they're going, it'll save you the work of figuring it out later.

Connect all of the cables in the network termination to an Ethernet switch and connect your broadband router to the switch. You'll have wired Internet and network access in all the locations.
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 03:19 PM #8
Hello John,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the network switch thing and the broadband box. I suppose i would need something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compoint-8-Por...item5190f019e3

I would connect the BT Home Hub via an Ethernet Cable into the uplink Ethernet Plug and then route each of the other wires to a wall socket in the rooms around the house?

Thanks Jack-O-Bytes
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2010, 04:07 PM #9
Well, that's good if you only have 7 rooms you're wiring, since you have to leave one port for the router connection. I was thinking more along the lines of something like this NETGEAR GS116 10/100/1000Mbps ProSafe Gigabit Switch. This gives you gigabit connections all around, allows room for expansion, and doesn't break the bank.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 04:21 PM #10
That one does have 8 ports + an uplink port. I am guessing that the uplink port is the input port that will be shared around the rooms?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 05:20 PM #11
I have a GS108 (similar to what JohnWill posted a link to, except 8 ports). Same switch, fewer ports. It is a smart switch that allows me to turn ports on and off, set the link speed per port, monitor usage per port, designate one port as a sniffer port (for monitoring my kids online acivity). Much more that a regular dumb switch. I rather like the metal enclosure too that has a ground terminal I can connect to ground for static control.

As for which port to plug the router into on a GS108 or GS116, all ports are equal.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2010, 05:39 PM #12
Well, the one I linked to is not a smart switch, but for his situation, I don't see the extra expense of a smart switch as being warranted.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 05:40 PM #13
That is what I was thinking. I only really need one that just allows the internet to be spread around. I don't really need any extra features. What I do need is 8 output ports and 1 input for the Home Hub.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2010, 05:51 PM #14
That's 9 ports, so you really need a 16 port switch. Besides, I can assure you that you'll figure out something like a NAS for network-wide file services that you'd like to add, and you'll be glad you have an extra port or two on the switch.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 05:53 PM #15
You have a good point there. Would something like this do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-Port-Networ...item4836915490
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ethernet, ethernet splitter, every room, network, wall socket

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!