Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Duplicate Wireless Networks

(!)

Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jul-2010, 04:35 AM #1
Im running Windows XP on my desktop and installed an HP printer J6480. I'm trying to set it up wirelessly so that I can print from my laptop without having the desktop powered on. I do have a wireless network name (SSID), etc...

I can print, however, the desktop has to be powered up and i want to be able to print from my latop without having the desktop on..

When I tried to set up the wireless connection for the printer, I get a message saying that there are duplicate wireless networks and cannot find the printer.

I have a boradband Linksys router WRT54GS.

how can I get rid of the duplicate wireless network and how can I get the printing function to work wirelessly?

What other information do I need to provide you in order to solve my problem?

thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 11:07 AM #2
I suggest a wired network connection to the printer, I'll be a lot easier to get going and keep running.
Member with 27 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 01:11 PM #3
Duplicate wireless networks
I understand that having it wired is a lot easier, but thats not what I want. I wouldn't have bothered to contact the experts if it were easy.

I should add or clarify that I can print from my laptop wirelessly, but I can't get my printer to print from my laptop without having the desktop powered on.
As I stated in my original thread, I am trying to get my HP printer J6480 to print from my laptop without having to have the desktop on. When I go through the setup process using the installation CD with the printer, I followed the directions and when it came to the part where it asked for the SSID and I entered it, it said it couldn't recognize it because there were duplicate wireless networks with the same name and said it couldn't find the printer.
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,073 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 02:04 PM #4
If there is another wireless network broadcasting which you're trying to use the same name for the SSID, you can't. You'll have to pick a unique SSID for your printer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,681 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 02:09 PM #5
post back the following , so we can see all the networks in your area
Use on which ever PC is using a wireless connection

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 27 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 03:47 PM #6
I believe thats the problem; 2 wireless names with the same SSID. As I go through the setup of the printer to have it wireless, the setup provides me with the names of the networks and there are 2 of them with the smae name; one with WEP and one with WPA. The WEP name is the one I want to use and when I highlight it and go to the next step, the setup program says it cant find the printer. Maybe I need to call linksys to find out how to get rid of the duplicate network, which I don't remember how it got created..
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2010, 03:52 PM #7
Change the name of your SSID and remove all the stored wireless network profiles and try to connect.
Member with 27 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 03:59 PM #8
Duplicate wireless Networks
John, yes, I think that will do it but how do I change the name of the SSID and remove the duplicate SSID network or the wireless network profiles.

i am not very versed in networking..
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2010, 04:16 PM #9
if you change your SSID to something thats not in your area - it will not be duplicate
if you dont have a user manual - one is here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/SA/en/...T54GS/download
i used the version 7 hardware
You will need to log into the router - do that with a PC connected to the router by cable
See Page 8 starts to talks about the SSID and shows how to change it on the wireless configuration part of the router settings
Member with 27 posts.

18-Jul-2010, 04:26 PM #10
Thank you for your suggestion. I had logged into the router just to verify the WEP key when it was asked for during the setup of the printer, but I only saw 1 SSID and it had the correct WEP key that I knew of when I originally set up the wireless network a couple of years ago so that I could use the wireless for my laptops located in other rooms.. I would think you would see all the SSIDs for that router, but again I am not very knowledgeable about networks.

Is there a way to delete the WPA SSID even though I can't see it in the router. Somewhere, that WPA network was created and I don't know how and where it is.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2010, 04:35 PM #11
The SSID is the name that is broadcast by routers - so you are picking up other networks in your area, which you have no control over
So if you change your SSID name (make sure you don't use any name that is being broadcast, hence the request for the xirrus ) and use that name for the printer you will be OK

All WRT54GS will have a default name - infact the name may be the same on all Linksys Routers and so anyone who buys a linksys router in your area will broadcast that SSID and so you may even have 3 or 4

hope that helps
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2010, 05:03 PM #12
Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again. Here's How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!