Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Set up NAS & VPN

(!)

Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

29-Jul-2010, 05:06 PM #16
You actually think streaming your music from the NAS is going to work really good over a VPN connection? Especially when your upload bandwidth with your ISP is probably not even as close to your download bandwidth.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2010, 05:14 PM #17
Do you mean the capability to access them via VPN or the Time Machine, iTunes server bit?

If you mean the VPN bit do you know how to set that up in this situation? No problem if not, but that would be the answer to my problem.

G
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2010, 05:17 PM #18
The iTunes server part is secondary, I hope I'm not sidetracking you. I haven't managed to get that working on the LAN as I'd like it to, but it looks like I can work it out. The part I'd really like to resolve is accessing the NAS via VPN when out of the office.

Gordon
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

29-Jul-2010, 05:26 PM #19
Have you tried anything we have mentioned above?

1) Johnwill's instructions.

2) Can they be bridge together.

3) Putting the VPN router in the DMZ of the Main Router

4) Port forwarding the VPN port on the main router to the VPN router.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2010, 06:25 PM #20
Hi yes, I really appreciate John's detailed instructions and I followed them completely, including the link "Typical example config using a Netgear router". Unfortunately, I think John was approaching the problem from the point of view of putting the VPN Firewall first and the broadband wifi modem router after that. Unfortunately the broadband wifi modem router has to be first in line as the broadband connection goes into this and the VPN firewall doesn't have a phone/broadband connection, only ethernet. I did follow all the instructions though, right through to changing the broadband modem/router to 192.168.0.99 and then I lost contact and had to reset it.

Bridging together, putting the VPN router in the DMZ and port forwarding are beyond my understanding without clear explanation or basic instruction. Sorry if I'm just beneath your ability to instruct. Thanks for making the effort though.

Gordon
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,860 posts.

29-Jul-2010, 07:05 PM #21
So, I have this particular router, FVS318. Putting the VPN router in the DMZ is not going to help you. You need to either put the router as the main router to your internet connection or you have to pass the IPSEC ports to it. But this doesn't solve routing internally in your network as the FVS318 cannot have remote VPN client traffic come out of the same interface as the port set up on the internal LAN behind your Netgear modem/router. But if you want to try, you need to pass UDP port 500 and IP port 50 to the FVS318.

You need to see if you can bridge the Netgear modem router to act strictly as a modem. This will simplify your setup.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Jul-2010, 09:47 PM #22
I think I'd bridge the modem/router and use the FVS318 as the main router as zx10guy specifies, that will probably be the most satisfactory resolution. As far as wireless access, you can get a cheap wireless router and connect it as my previous instructions to solve that issue.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
mac, nas, netgear, vpn

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!