Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Webpage

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2010, 08:02 PM #1
Exclamation Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Webpage
Hi there.

Ok Let me first say I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section of the forum. The problem appears to be a network problem but I am almost certain it was caused first off by a virus.

Ok the problem is as follows, I sometimes get that message when loading up websites which says "Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Webpage". When this happens I am connected to the internet and can be downloading, talking on msn or ventrillo or doing anything else that requires internet access. I then have to keep refreshing the page until the website loads up (sometimes this can happen right away and other times it takes several refreshes until the internet explorer decides it can display the webpage. Also sometimes when website do load they seem to load what looks like a simplified version on the website, kind of like a printer friendly version and I then have to refresh the page again.

The problem all started the about 4 or 5 days ago when i was surfing the web when suddenly a virus virus downloaded itself onto my computer. It was that Anti-Malware Doctor along with a load of other malware that gets downloaded with it. By using a number of programs such as Malware Bytes and, Spybot:Search & Destroy and HiJack this I managed to get rid of all the viruses off my computer.

Now I am fairly confident that I am malware free as I have run several scans of my system using malwarebytes and SB:S&D (all fully updated) and found no trace of malware, but even so the above
problem is still happening and I dont know what to do about it. Before the virus my internet was fine, I would open IE and it would load the webpage, now it keeps telling me it cant find webpages and I have to refresh constantly, plus my internet seems kind of slow.

Does anyone have any idears what the problem might be and how I may go about correcting the problem ?

I am running Windows Ultimate 86 bit and using IE version 8.0

There is a cookie in it for anyone who can help
(sorry if I waffled there a bit. Just trying to give you all the information )
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 08:41 PM #2
(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2010, 08:57 PM #3
Thanks alot mate. So far that has worked a treat, no more "cannot display this website" rubbish. Big thanks again mate you saved my sanity
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2010, 09:09 PM #4
I was thinking about a career change into psychiatry.

You're welcome. You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2010, 11:36 AM #5
I thought the problem was solved but unfortunately the problem just started again the next time I turned on my computer. I have tried entering the commands again and restarting but still does the same thing. I am at a loss with this really...
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2010, 12:40 PM #6
I have been waiting a few days...is there no one with any idears of what might possibly be wrong and how I may go about fixing it xD
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2010, 12:56 PM #7
I guess we all missed your last post.

It's still intermittent, right? You're OK for awhile, and then the browser(s) stop accessing web pages?

Is this happening only with a wireless connection, only with an ethernet connection, a different type of connection or multiple connections? Which type, if any, connections do not get the problem?

Download and install the latest driver for each of your network adapters. Be sure to get drivers for integrated devices from your PC or motherboard manufacturer's site.

What non-Windows firewall, security suite or other security application do you have on the machine?
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2010, 08:07 PM #8
Sorry for the slow reply. I was on holiday for the weekend.

Basically sometimes the website takes ages to load it just hangs for about a minute add then says Internet Explorer Cannot display this website. I refresh and usually the website will load up. The internet can work fine for ages and then just suddenly start giving me problems andit can also be very slow.
Also I sometimes download programs off website that are zipped and broken up into seperate parts. When I try and extract the file from these winrar files it tells me some parts are corrupt and I have o redownload them again to get all the files to extract. This has happened several times with several files and I never had this problem before I got this virus.

I am use one connection which is a ethernet connection. I am now running ZoneAlarm, but this problem was happening before I installed ZoneAlarm.

I will try downloading the latest drivers for my network adapters tomorrw and update you if this fixes or changes anything
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

08-Aug-2010, 10:08 PM #9
TerryNet
You probably have helped save the sanity for more of us than any psychiatrist has!!!!!
vicks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!