Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Do cable modem and Netgear router need to be close to each other?

(!)

Member with 57 posts.

03-Aug-2010, 12:05 PM #1
Solved: Do cable modem and Netgear router need to be close to each other?
We have always had the cable modem and Netgear router near each other (with computers nearby as well.) Now we want to set up our computers in another room. We want to leave the modem where it is, and relocate the router near our computers, which are not wireless. Doing it this way means there will be only one cable running room to room. Will this compromise our internet speed? I am assuming the 50 ft line from modem-to-router will not affect the speed.
Moderator with 64,099 posts.

03-Aug-2010, 12:07 PM #2
shouldn't be. I've got a linux box downstairs that is physically connected to the upstairs router (which is next to the modem) via a 50' ethernet cable, and I'm fine on that.....
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Aug-2010, 05:21 PM #3
There is no problem running the cable up to 100 meters between the modem and the router.
Member with 57 posts.

04-Aug-2010, 07:59 AM #4
thanks!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Aug-2010, 08:04 AM #5
My FiOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal, aka modem) is in my basement, and my router is in the other end of the house. The network is happy as a clam.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!