Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DSL and Internet light dropping and making me cry.

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

04-Aug-2010, 09:58 PM #1
Solved: DSL and Internet light dropping and making me cry.
Ola amigos,

So as of right now my internet is beyond messed and ive tried literally everything to fix it. Im with the ISP telus, on their gigaset se567 modem. Ive had this modem for over a year and have had no issues until about 2 weeks ago. Essentially my internet will be doing just dandy until snap, it cycles itself by shutting down its DSL and internet lights, making nothing load until it reboots (after about 45 seconds) and then crashes again after about a minute. Sometimes I can go for hours without it failing on me, of late its about a minute.

I called and told telus this, they sent a guy over, he said that the internet signals are coming in through my house into one main port, i need to shut this port down so it will stop confusing my modem with excess signals (which causes it to shut down). Now for the life of me I cannot find this port and the need Speedtouch modem which he gave me saying "it would have far less problems and be able to handle the excess signals" is also crashing and my internet is basically non-existent.

My question for you is, does this happen regularly? Do I truly need to rip apart my house to find this port? Is there an alternate way to fix this problem? My god please help me! I will give you guys the fattest hugs if you can fix this.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,476 posts.

04-Aug-2010, 10:10 PM #2
You use DSL filter(s) to keep "excess signals" away from the modem. Best is to have a two way splitter at the service entrance with one side going direct to the modem and a filter on the other side, which goes to all your voice phone equipment. If you don't have that then you must have a filter on everything except the modem. A defective or missing filter could cause your problem.

Obviously one way to test is to disconnect all phones, answering machines, fax machines, etc. If your modem disconnects cease you can then add equipment back one at a time until you find the troublemaker.

The phone company is responsible for keeping "excess signals" off their lines.

04-Aug-2010, 10:24 PM #3
Alright,

Well unplugged all the phones (I have the set-up you were talking about with it feeding direct from the phone line and having a filter for the phone) So I did that and everything was good, my modem stayed up and i was happy. But now that I've plugged them all back in it continues to not drop, this could just be one of the hours where its really good. OR could it be that my filter is messed and I eventually it will drop again (after time) and i should just purchase a new one?

Also could it be that since I am living in a town house in close proximity to other houses (and in turn, signals) my modem could be confused with a neighbours signal and forced to shut down because of such.

Thx for the early advice, hopefully we can work this out.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Aug-2010, 09:00 AM #4
Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utility connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.
Moderator with 66,476 posts.

05-Aug-2010, 09:29 AM #5
I think that you're saying you do have the setup John just described. If so, maybe your DSL splitter is defective, and maybe that's what the tech was trying to say.

Your phone line is logically two wires directly from the phone company to you whether you are in a crowded apartment building or an isolated farm house. So neighbors' lines should not interfere unless the phone company has messed up the wiring or connections. When they do that you usually also hear static or cross-talk or other noise on your voice phone.

05-Aug-2010, 09:03 PM #6
Alright so last night I switched my DSl filter from the upstairs one (which was newer) for the downstairs one. Upon doing such I haven't had a problem. This was a much easier solution and id like to thank you guyz for the aid.

05-Aug-2010, 09:19 PM #7
Well while I've got you here there is one new issue. When I try playing on Xbox live, it will drop like it used to. of late this is the only time it is doing so. Ive enabled full internet gateway device support for plug n play. What could the issue be? Through research I know that its quite difficult to get an open NAT with the gigset Se567 but not many reports of service dropping mid game.

Thoughts? aid? pl0x?
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2010, 09:08 AM #8
Since playing with the DSL filters changed the symptoms, I suggest you re-read my DSL wiring fix and consider doing that.

08-Aug-2010, 01:38 PM #9
Hey alright, so I did some snooping around and heres the best ive come up with, I forgot i had some strange box outside my house where the cable service comes in. please tell me this is my NID. Im not really sure if i attached it right, its here under attachments so hopefully you can see it...
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: DSL and Internet light dropping and making me cry.-picture.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
08-Aug-2010, 01:59 PM #10
That box is for your cable, it has nothing at all to do with Telus.

If you're in a townhouse, it's likely all the cable and phone wiring runs through the walls and/or under the slab to a central electrical room for the whole building, so there won't be any exposed or visible outside wires. If there is an NID, it's likely in that electrical room, and you probably won't be able to get access to it (unless you can sweet-talk your property manager).

It could be that you simply have a bad DSL filter that letting noise into the line. Telus should be able to provide you with more if you need them. Remember that you need to put one on *every* other phone, fax, answering machine, or anything else that plugs into a phone jack (except the modem).

And yeah, those Gigaset all-in-one router/modem/gateway units are crap. Better to get the Siemens unit that Telus offers and use a separate router.

Beyond that... you could always drop the DSL and get cable internet. Whereabouts do you live?

08-Aug-2010, 02:07 PM #11
GAHHH,

Well I may actually be able to do the sweet talking of the property manager but in reality thats just another issue. SNAP.
Yea this is getting messy. I live in B.C. if that means anything. Thanks for the help though, hopefully i can find a way to beat this
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

08-Aug-2010, 03:10 PM #12
I'm in BC as well, I've had to deal with Telus internet plenty of times. Read my third paragraph about the DSL filters. These things should be easy to find from yard sales, Craigslist, used-computer stores like Cal's... or you can probably just get more from Telus
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2010, 04:51 PM #13
I prefer my single splitter solution to all the filters. This removes the in-house wiring from the picture and give the best possible connection.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

08-Aug-2010, 06:48 PM #14
Yes, but when you're in a townhouse where all your wiring is embedded in the walls and leads back to a central locked electrical or phone room... that's probably not an option.
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2010, 07:41 PM #15
Probably not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dsl, fail, internet, isp, modem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!