Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

05-Aug-2010, 11:38 PM #1
Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected
Hello Team,

I'm running Windows XP Pro. I'm using an Acer 5738Z and I user the Atheros AR5B91 wireless network adapter. In the Network Connections window, Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected. In the device manager, the Atheros driver is listed under Network Adapters. Also, in the Atheros Client Utility, I can see the available wireless network to connect. But, when I connect, its not connecting. I believe its because the Wireless Network Connection has a red X and its not connected. I tried reinstalling the Atheros drivers. Turned off the firewall, etc. to no luck. Also stopped and started the Wireless Zero Configuration in the services.

I've tried all possible steps from my side. Just not sure what to do to get the Wireless Network Connection to get connected, so that I can use my wireless.

It was working absolutely fine around a couple of months back. Did not make any major changes in my pc since then. I'm struggling with this for the past many weeks. Please help me out. Expecting to get a reply very soon.

Regards,
Reeza
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-wireless.jpg   Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-ipconfig.jpg  

Last edited by reeza; 06-Aug-2010 at 02:46 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,298 posts.

06-Aug-2010, 06:10 AM #2
There maybe a switch on the laptop that switched the wireless on/off - sometime a physical switch other times a combination of the FN + F keys - i see if i can the info
have a look here at the quickguide - there is a switch top left to enable/disable the wireless
http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?L...CRC=2054404012
whats the make and model of the router you have ?
do you have wireless security enabled ?
have you tried connecting the pc to the router by cable does it work?

would you post back xirrus image - see below
and also if the tcp stack repair worked 0 or if you get any error messages

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Aug-2010, 08:24 AM #3
Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again. Here's How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

06-Aug-2010, 09:18 AM #4
Thank you etaf and JohnWill for the suggestions. There is a wireless button on the top of the laptop and thats on. I'm not using the native windows wireless. I'm using the AR5B91 wireless network adapter and the wireless client is Atheros Client Utility. I'm not using any router to connect to the wireless. In trying to connect to an existing wireless network, which is my friends (the SSID is friends). Please see the attachment.

I've already tried resetting tcp/ip and winsock entries. no luck. Since I'm not using the windows wireless driver, im not able to use the 'view wireless networks' in the wireless network connection properties > wireless connections.

Please suggest
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-wifi.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip wifi.zip (266.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by reeza; 06-Aug-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2010, 09:19 AM #5
Have you considered trying the Windows wireless client?

Let's see this from your computer.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

06-Aug-2010, 09:21 AM #6
Note: Please don't post zip files with embedded Word documents, it makes it harder to see what you're posting. In addition, a lot of people won't be equipped to read the new Office 2007/2010 DOCX formats.

You can post graphics directly to the forum, see my previous post.

06-Aug-2010, 09:41 AM #7
I havent tried the windows wireless client. I dont have the driver installed in the device manager. Ive pasted the jpg files. Please review
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-file1.jpg   Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-file2.jpg   Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-file3.jpg   Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-file4.jpg   Wireless Network Connection shows a red X and says Not Connected-wifi.jpg  

Computer Specs

06-Aug-2010, 03:08 PM #8
The Windows WZC is probably not running due to the fact that you have a 3rd party wireless client running.

You obviously have good wireless hardware.

07-Aug-2010, 12:39 AM #9
The wireless zero configuration service is running in the services windows. I have also restarted it multiple times. not sure what shall i try next.

10-Aug-2010, 01:28 AM #10
help please !
Hi etaf/JohnWill,

Appreciate if you could provide me suggestions to resolve this, as I've been struggling to get this fixed for many days.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2010, 03:30 AM #11
Is this your wireless router - and are you able to log into it ?
would you post an ipconfig /all from one of the working machines

You adapter can see the networks all ok

try just using the windows wireless service and turn off the client is Atheros Client Utility
and then try the opposite - having two adapter software running may be conflicting

post back here the status - started, automatics or manual of all the services that are listed below - see below
what firewall do you have running and what has been installed in the past - norton, mcafee etc

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

----------------------

10-Aug-2010, 01:54 PM #12
Im not using any router, im trying to connect to an existing network connection, which im able to view using the atheros client utility.

i tried using the native windows wireless after disabling the Atheros client and i was able to see the existing wireless networks, but even then the red X exists.

All the below services are running in the services window.

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
  • Workstation
One more thing, i wanted to add...I had symantec endpoint protection installed earlier in my PC. Later, around one month back, i had uninstalled it and installed microsoft security essentials.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2010, 01:59 PM #13
Quote:
im trying to connect to an existing network connection, which im able to view using the atheros client utility.
I'm afraid we cannot help if you trying to use someone else's wireless network - ISP T&Cs do not allow for this type of connection

so closing the post

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
Quote:
WiFi "Piggybacking" / "Wardriving" - We do not support the act of using someone else's Internet without permission. Also, please note that almost every ISP prohibits sharing your Internet connection with another home, and we will not assist you in breaking their rules.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2010, 04:37 PM #14
Geez! No wonder we're having trouble! I guess the guy with the network finally decided to slam the door!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!