Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I make two modems work on cable internet?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2010, 12:04 PM #1
Can I make two modems work on cable internet?
I have a problem. We have one cable internet account with Time Warner. I want to have two modems--one connected in the game room for the kids to use and one connected in the home office to the two computers in the home office.

A wireless connection from the game room to the office doesn't appear to be workable since the computers aren't set up for wireless. I'd just like to add another modem connection to the cable outlet in the office instead of having to move the whole thing between the two rooms every time someone needs to use it. You can imagine the wailing when there are competing needs.

Time Warner says this won't work because the modems have specific ids that identify them and make them work. They day I'd have to set up wireless or buy another cable account.

So my question is: Is it possible to program the same id into both modems if I buy another one. Or any other suggestions that will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help I know will come from you guys.

Wildbill2u.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

06-Aug-2010, 12:11 PM #2
i will move to networking forum where you should get more response
do you have the make and model of the modem
can you run a cable between the two rooms at all - you could then setup another router

Quote:
I'd just like to add another modem connection to the cable outlet in the office
can you explain what this cable is ?

also make and models of the PCs without wireless - you can buy USB wireless adapters
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Aug-2010, 02:53 PM #3
There is no way you can use two DOCSIS modems on one cable account.

You'll have to look into either a wireless router or running a cable from the modem location to the other room. I'd suggest a router anyway, since then you can have them connected permanently and not have to do anything.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!