Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: wireless works but only at night

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2010, 09:20 PM #1
Solved: wireless works but only at night
It's really odd because my wireless connection barely works at all during the day (12:00-7:00). Then around 8:00 my wireless connection magically starts working fine again, this has occurred for the past few weeks and it's really getting annoying.

I know it's not my computer because it happens with my ipod and my dad's computer too. I also know that it's only my wireless connection because my ps3 and xbox 360 are going through a wired connection to my router and each of them work fine. I've turned everything off and on multiple times I've reset my router to the factory settings two or three times and it has changed nothing.

I have a netgear wnr2000 wireless router if that helps.

ANY and all help will be much appreciated.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,873 posts.

12-Aug-2010, 09:23 PM #2
is there any exceptions made for the wireless connection that would limit connections during that time?

and is that 12PM or 12AM?

12-Aug-2010, 09:41 PM #3
Its 12:00pm (sorry for the misunderstanding). No, theres no reason that I could see why my router would just run extremely slow then work perfectly at about the same time every day.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

12-Aug-2010, 09:43 PM #4
Do you have your network encrypted? If not, perhaps somebody else is piggybacking on your network?
Vicks

12-Aug-2010, 10:04 PM #5
my network was encrypted until a little while back until I realized that it was causing my router to drop me but I doubt that anyone is piggybacking off me because my router is in my basement and doesn't reach very far outside of my house.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 12:28 AM #6
Because of the timing, I would almost bet someone is on your network....
Vicks
Member with 114 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 01:08 AM #7
Is there any interference? Like... the neighbors router cordless phone microwave FBI, NSA, CIA however its likely someone jumping on your wifi. If you wont want to encrypt, (bad idea) go into the router config and look for the list of clients. I should have a record even if they are all not immediately connected, look for an extra.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 08:56 AM #8
During a period when it's not working, then again when it is working, run this test and post the results here each time.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

14-Aug-2010, 09:24 PM #9
sorry it took me so long to do this. The first picture is when its a good connection and the second one when it's a bad connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: wireless works but only at night-good-con..png   Solved: wireless works but only at night-bad-con..png  
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 10:39 AM #10
Try changing the channel on the router to channel 6 and see if that changes things.

15-Aug-2010, 12:54 PM #11
thank you JohnWill your suggestion worked. I changed my router to channel 6 and it works fine now. You saved me hours of frustration and annoyance.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 04:22 PM #12
Glad it was a simple fix. Something must be running during the problem period that is stepping on the other channel.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!