Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem with wireless card on Toshiba Satellite laptop

(!)

Member with 47 posts.

17-Aug-2010, 04:44 AM #1
Problem with wireless card on Toshiba Satellite laptop
My wireless card is Realtek 8187B and it seems that it doesn't work properly because it can't detect any wireless network. Do I need some external PCI card to get this card to work? My OS is Windows XP and the card has drivers installed on it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Aug-2010, 10:17 AM #2
You don't need any external card for a normal working laptop wireless connection.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Member with 47 posts.

17-Aug-2010, 11:41 AM #3
This is a screen shot from Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector but it doesn't detect the wireless network.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with wireless card on Toshiba Satellite laptop-screenshot003.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,342 posts.

17-Aug-2010, 03:46 PM #4
Is the wireless switched on? I think that for Toshiba the switch is a slide switch on the front and the LED is red for ON.
Member with 47 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 04:07 AM #5
This is my laptop model - Toshiba Satellite. It doesn't have a manual switch but the wireless adapter is enabled, just can't detect the wireless network. Are you sure it doesn't require an external USB Wi-Fi device?
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2010, 08:27 AM #6
Is the wireless device enabled within device manager? Do you have the IP properties set to Dynamic or Static addressing?
Computer Specs
Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2010, 08:48 AM #7
@ktulu11
Quote:
Do you have the IP properties set to Dynamic or Static addressing?
it doesnt detect signal.. ip is later issue..
back to u guys
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2010, 09:10 AM #8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
  1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Member with 47 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 01:12 PM #9
This is a screen shot from my device manager. I have one disabled device because I couldn't find a driver for it and my sound card is working fine without it, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with wireless card on Toshiba Satellite laptop-screenshot007.jpg  
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2010, 01:23 PM #10
It's starting to look like the wireless is switched off, or the wireless card is broken.

Have you tried opening the access door on the bottom and reseating the card and the antenna leads?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,342 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 04:09 PM #11
Quote:
It doesn't have a manual switch but the wireless adapter is enabled ...
Enabled and switched on are two different things. If there is no physical switch then there surely is a key combination and/or software utility. Fn + F2 is popular, but have no idea what Toshiba might use.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2010, 09:11 AM #12
My little Toshiba uses a fancy function key setup to step through the wireless and the bluetooth enable/disable, it's quite confusing until you get used to it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!