Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Vista, XP kicks me off internet when trying to connect to wireless printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Aug-2010, 10:11 PM #1
Solved: Vista, XP kicks me off internet when trying to connect to wireless printer
I have 2 laptops. One is a Dell, running on Windows Vista, and the other is a Toshiba, running on Windows XP. Both laptops are connected wirelessly to the internet via cable connection (not DSL). I am using a Linksys router WRT150N to connect to the internet. I also have a Brother wireless printer (HL2170W). The laptops successfully connect to the internet via the router, and they also successfully connect to the wireless printer.

When I want to print something (for example, from Microsoft Word), I connect to the wireless printer by going to "Connect to...". I then choose the printer from the list of available networks and click "connect". Vista or XP then connects to the printer and I am able to print my document successfully.

My problem is that both Vista and XP do not seem to want to have 2 networks running at the same time (internet AND printer). They will only allow me to connect to one or the other. If I am connected to the internet and I want to print something from it (for example, an e-mail or a webpage), I need to go to "connect to..." and connect to the printer. However, when I connect to the printer, Vista/XP kicks me off the internet connection in order to connect to the printer. That means that I cannot print off the internet at all, but I can print off of other programs that do not require networking (Word, Excel, etc.).

Is there a way to be connected to 2 networks at the same time (so I can actually print something from the internet)? Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

21-Aug-2010, 11:08 AM #2
If you want to be connected to two networks at the same time use two adapters. Think of each wireless network as being an (invisible) ethernet cable. You can only connect to one per NIC at a time.

Most people would just connect the printer to the router's wireless network. In fact, most people don't have the knowledge to be able to set up an ad-hoc wireless network with the printer as you have done.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2010, 02:20 PM #3
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I do not know how to use two "adapters". Do I need to buy something? Or do I need to connect it differently? I am only a little computer literate - sorry. (To get the ad-hoc connection, I just followed the instructions on the installation CD.)

Would it have been easier if I connected the printer to the router's wireless network? However, if I did that, would I be able to print from the internet, since the router would be connected to both the internet and the printer?
Thanks for answering these questions.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

21-Aug-2010, 03:12 PM #4
Your computer probably (just guessing) has two networking adapters--one wireless and one ethernet. If you want to connect to two wireless networks at the same time you would need to buy another wireless adapter.

Quote:
... would I be able to print from the internet ...?
If you mean from away from your house could you connect to your home network over the internet and print to the printer the answer is maybe. Some people have accomplished that.

If you mean could you use the printer while also accessing the internet from a computer on your home network the answer is a big OF COURSE. The printer will be just as available to your web browser as it is to Word, Excel, etc.
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2010, 02:43 PM #5
Hi. I solved the problem...connected the printer to the router (infrastructure mode) instead of "ad-hoc" mode. That allows me to use the printer wirelessly from both laptops, with print capabilities from all software and the internet too! Thanks anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!