Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 connecting to Windows 2000 - network password problem

(!)

Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Aug-2010, 12:54 PM #1
Windows 7 connecting to Windows 2000 - network password problem
When I try to connect to a Windows 2000 computer (SERVER) over my network from my Windows 7 computer (LAUREL-PC), I have an issue in that a dialog box comes up called Enter Network Password, and when I do enter the password and username for my windows 2000 computer into the dialog box, it doesn't work, and it says incorrect username or password!

I think it has to do something with the fact that when I try and login, it shows the username as

LAUREL-PC\Connor

when it should probably be

SERVER\Connor

because I am logging in with the username from the computer called SERVER, not LAUREL-PC! There isn't even an account called Connor on LAUREL-PC.

How do i make it change the domain or computer name to SERVER when I am logging on, or is there some other problem. I tried to make it so that you don't have to enter a network password to access shares on my SERVER computer, but that didn't work. Is there anyway to disable this dialog box?

Thanks!!!

PLEASE REPLY .
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,986 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 01:26 PM #2
For username try \\SERVER\username
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 03:22 PM #3
Create a user on the W2K machine that's the same name/password as is used to login to the Win7 machine. See if that helps.
Member with 24 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 04:11 PM #4
@TerryNet

It doesn't allow you to change the \\SERVER part - it's automatically set there.
You can only change the part after that. Thanks anyways.

@JohnWill

I will try that, and post back with results in a second.
Member with 24 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 06:15 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Create a user on the W2K machine that's the same name/password as is used to login to the Win7 machine. See if that helps.
I did that and I thought it was going to work, but when I did put in the username and password for the account I created on the windows 2000 PC that has the same name and password as my Windows 7 PC, it still gave me the wrong username message! ARGH

I attached an image of that message, also showing how it doesn't allow you to change the \\laurel-pc part of the username (\\laurel-pc\Laurel

If you look at the picture from my first post you will see that it says Domain: LAUREL-PC. That might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. I don't use a domain on my network, or active directory or any of those things, so it shouldn't have that there!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 connecting to Windows 2000 - network password problem-techsupportguy.png  
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2010, 06:47 PM #6
Did you try the Use another account at the bottom?
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2010, 07:01 PM #7
Not having Win 2k Pro I have been testing with Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and getting the same run-around that you are getting. Finally tried a tip from the Ubuntu documentation, which worked for totally unknown reasons. You may want to try on the Windows 7 ...

In a Run box type

\\Win2k

where "Win2k" is the computer name of the other machine (if this doesn't work then try again using the IP address). For username simply use any username that's password protected on the Win2k.

After doing that, successfully, I can now also access Ubuntu through Windows 7's Network. Won't guarantee it will still work after a reboot though.

22-Aug-2010, 08:17 PM #8
I couldn't log in, even using the correct name/password. Then I created a user account on the 2K machine, and Win7 logged in fine.
Member with 24 posts.

05-Sep-2010, 09:26 AM #9
I tried that but I still can't get in. Is there some way i can just disable the password instead of mucking around with making new user accounts etc...?
Member with 24 posts.

05-Sep-2010, 09:58 AM #10
Trying the \\win2k you suggested didn't work - it game the same result as clicking on the computer in Windows Explorer did!
Computer Specs

05-Sep-2010, 10:00 AM #11
In Windows XP Pro you can avoid the need for account/password (it uses a network anonymous guest login) by using Simple File Sharing. Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - select "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)."

I do not know if Win 2k Pro has the same option.
Computer Specs

05-Sep-2010, 10:16 AM #12
2K doesn't have simple sharing.
Member with 24 posts.

05-Sep-2010, 10:31 AM #13
arrgh. Ok, well i'll have to go dig out my XP disc i guess. Thanks guys!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
credentials, networking, password, windows 2000 pro, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!