Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Running 2 Routers in my Home Network

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

02-Sep-2010, 12:51 AM #1
Question Solved: Running 2 Routers in my Home Network
I'm trying to set up two routers in my home network so I can have more Ethernet jacks in my home network. My one router alone does not have enough ports to feed all my computers so I thought I would hook up my older router, but I'm not sure exactly how I need to do this.

My primary router, which is receiving the signal from my DSL modem is D-link DIR-615, which I hope to run in wireless N as well. The second router is a USR8054 which I hope to run in wireless G for legacy devices.

Here is generally what I am trying to achieve:

Basically, the red lines represent the connection/router setting changes I need to make between the two routers. Since the routers are literally right next to one another, I can either wire them together or go wireless; whichever is easier. I've tried running an Ethernet cable from LAN port 4 of the D-link to LAN port 1 on the USR with mixed results; one one occasion I lost my wireless G signal, and on another several of my wired devices wouldn't connect. I also tried running a Ethernet cable from jack 4 on the D-link to the WAN input on the USR and successfully transmitted a wireless G signal from the USR, but could not get a wired connection from the USR.

I really have no idea what to do. Could someone tell me what I should be doing?!
Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Sep-2010, 01:00 AM #2
Funny, I just asked almost the same question earlier. See this thread.

http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ml#post7579173

02-Sep-2010, 01:08 AM #3
I'll see if anyone else has any ideas and try out what JohnWill suggested tomorrow morning.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Sep-2010, 09:07 AM #4
I use my posted solution, and a host of other people here have used it as well. It addresses exactly the issue you posted, and I don't know of a better solution if you don't have a router with a WAP configuration in the firmware.

02-Sep-2010, 09:39 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
I use my posted solution, and a host of other people here have used it as well. It addresses exactly the issue you posted, and I don't know of a better solution if you don't have a router with a WAP configuration in the firmware.
Hmmm, I'm a bit confused. You said:

Quote:
Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router.
Is the subnet my subnet mask? If so I get: 255.255.255.0
and my DHCP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199

So what should I use as my second routers IP?
Computer Specs

02-Sep-2010, 09:51 AM #6
No, the subnet of your primary router is 192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. In this example, I'd configure the secondary router's base address to be 192.168.0.254 as a typical example.

02-Sep-2010, 10:17 AM #7
nvm, I got it and everything is working great!

My N netowrk is on channel 11, and my G network is on channel 6. I gave them different SSID's because my second router does not support spaces in the SSID.

Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs

02-Sep-2010, 03:14 PM #8
I recommend never putting spaces in stuff like network names or SSID's anyway, so I don't know if the routers support them!

You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cascade, d-link, dir, link, usr

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!